March Hatch-A-Long

Aside from the one that tried to hatch and failed, I've had no activity from my eggs. They're due this weekend. They'd better hatch, little monsters.

Any idea what could have caused the one to pip a week early? He was fully formed, just a big yoke. And was panting a bit (I think) through his air hole. I am hoping it's not something that is wrong with the incubator and will affect my hatch.

Aside from the one that tried to hatch and failed
Any idea what could have caused the one to pip a week early? He was fully formed, just a big yoke. And was panting a bit (I think) through his air hole. I am hoping it's not something that is wrong with the incubator and will affect my hatch.

Sorry about the loss :hugs
I’ve had duckies hatch early - before lockdown, but not a full week early. It could be the bator if the temps were fluctuating or the egg was in a bit of a hot spot?:confused:

My day 20 Egg didn’t want to be shown up by my day 19 silkie . It’s a race:)

I bet they hatch tonight when I’m sleeping.
024E4D5B-97CF-4B5C-9F83-216D007EAE0B.jpeg

My second hatch of the month is complete. All of my own eggs that made it to lock down hatched easily.

Calculating hatching percentage as those hatched vs those set, I had the following:

My own chicken eggs 70%
Shipped turkey eggs 8%
Shipped marans eggs 18% healthy + 1 blind and 1 rumpless

I did an eggtopsy on one of the failed turkey eggs. It was well developed but malpositioned with its head between its legs.

Sorry about the loss :hugs
I’ve had duckies hatch early - before lockdown, but not a full week early. It could be the bator if the temps were fluctuating or the egg was in a bit of a hot spot?:confused:

You know what I bet happened - the lady who kindly sent them had been gathering them for a few days. I bet the egg was older than the rest! It's the only thing I can think of. Not sure why he didn't make it, though. Very sad.

No activity yet, but tomorrow is their REAL hatch date. I have three left. I can't see anything at all inside the eggs. They're dark, but no movement. I've resisted looking into the egg and instead just candle from the side of the incubator. But still. After two deaths, several bad eggs, and five quitters, I'm a bit impatient to see if they make it. Especially since my last set of chicks are NOT friendly for some reason.

Especially since my last set of chicks are NOT friendly for some reason.

Do you have any idea why? The first batch I hatched this month are so friendly it's bizarre. They run up to my hand and want to be petted. They cry for me when I'm not there. I've NEVER had chicks like this before. I feel like it might be because I helped them hatch, talked to them and had my face constantly in the incubator window when they were drying off. Maybe they imprinted in me?

I also have two batches of chicks with broody hens. One hen sees me as an ally and friend. The chicks are not necessarily friendly, but they aren't afraid of me and will take food from me. The second hen doesn't like me at and has taught her chicks to fear me. When I enter her coop she tells them to stay clear and they do. She doesn't allow them to eat the food I bring until I'm gone. These two groups of chicks are all from the same eggs, but their moms have raised them completely differently and it shows.

Back
Top Bottom