March Hatch-A-Long

Another chick out.

The older chick hadnt made any progress so I had a bit more of a look. It was deformed, REALLY deformed, so I have euthanised :( poor little thing. I do wonder if it was genetics or incubation. But my 3 chicks were from the same incubator and they look great, so maybe a mix of both?

I did a sneaky order of some swedish flower hatching eggs, hopefully they will arrive quickly so I can join the easter hatch a long.:idunno

lol I hope so as well for you. My little swede is cute but still the weakest and smallest in the group.

20190328_062350.jpg
look at those tiny feathered feet!

Today is day 21 for me! To recap, I had a turkey poult hatch on day 19 and the little one was so lonely. It desperately wanted to get out of the incubator to be with me and I told it just to wait because chicken friends would be hatching soon.

On day 20, a chick finally hatched and the turkey was like what, no. That's not a human or a turkey, get it away or I'm going to peck it. Lol. It was pretty comical. Those two created quite a ruckus in the incubator running all over pestering each other. I moved them out to the brooder late last night.

Finally, I got a bunch of pips on the other eggs and this morning three popped out like popcorn. One of the eggs hatched from the wrong end and took a little longer to start zipping but it came out totally fine. There is another egg hatching and two others that should still be good.

So my heart is full again after a lot of headache and disappointment with my shipped eggs. Difficult hatches tend to make me question my incubation choices, but then when my own eggs hatch normally I feel so much better.

:celebrateOh how adorable.

My bantam mix silkie (closest to the front in the pic) I thought was going to be the first one out isn’t moving so I’m concerned for that one. The air cell isn’t that big. Maybe I was mistaken about seeing it’s shadow in the air cell? I hope so.

Instead it’s my day 19 silkie trying to win the race. It’s the white one in the background in the picture (you can see the tiny crack in the aircell). . The is also a brown one next to it that has cheeping and tapping that is on day 20.
A653B9D3-6BB7-4F7F-9E0E-18A135E5226A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom