March Hatch-A-Long

Do you have any idea why? The first batch I hatched this month are so friendly it's bizarre. They run up to my hand and want to be petted. They cry for me when I'm not there. I've NEVER had chicks like this before. I feel like it might be because I helped them hatch, talked to them and had my face constantly in the incubator window when they were drying off. Maybe they imprinted in me?

I also have two batches of chicks with broody hens. One hen sees me as an ally and friend. The chicks are not necessarily friendly, but they aren't afraid of me and will take food from me. The second hen doesn't like me at and has taught her chicks to fear me. When I enter her coop she tells them to stay clear and they do. She doesn't allow them to eat the food I bring until I'm gone. These two groups of chicks are all from the same eggs, but their moms have raised them completely differently and it shows.

Yup, it's because of bonding! My older chicks (that I rehomed, I miss them!) I handled from day 1. I was always cooing at them, picking them up, feeding them from my hand, etc. They were in my basement where I spend a LOT of time, so I was pretty much with them 24/7. They at least saw me a lot. I mean, I'm sure I'm overstating how much time I spent with them, but you get the idea.

The other chicks were much smaller, and my older chicks wanted to pound them. So they were in a smaller brooder in the back of my larger brooder. As a result I couldn't get to them as often. I'd feed them, but I didn't have time to coo at them since the older chicks wanted food. By the time I rehomed my older chicks and moved the Tinier Babies into the bigger brooder they were about two weeks old and happy on their own.

Weirdly, two of my Tiny Babies (the older batch) were NOT friendly at all. One was terrified of me, the other bonded with the one who was terrified of me and followed them. My older babies would come for worms and crawl all over me. They ALWAYS followed me and came when I called. These guys come when I call about half the time, and have no interest in following me unless it's outside.

I personally think not having a rooster (roosters seem more willing to be friendly) isn't helping. My rooster was the leader and always taught them what to do. He had no shame.

Well, unfortunately, my chicks don't seem to be very hardy, at least not the d'uccles and sultans. I've had an older sultan and two of the youngest d'uccles die within the last couple of days. So far, the porcelain seems okay, but I'm worried about the younger sultan in with it. It doesn't act completely sick, but just off. The older chicks also seem fine, but I figure any of them can die at any time; it's just the sad thing I've found with these breeds. At least my cemani crosses are doing alright. I haven't had any of these die(knock on wood) and they seem really active. One of the younger ones looks kind of strange, like it's missing feathers and holds its wings funny, but it seems to be a fluke, while the other chicks' problems seem more like a pattern. I suppose it will just mean that I have to hatch more, which is alright since the eggs are lacking. I hope the rest of you are having better luck with your chicks after they hatch.

Well I woke up early hoping to catch the ones hatching but as you can see ..
2AD7C68E-4C1B-45BA-84D5-089D9B1D42FD.jpeg

I was late.

I think the silkie came out first as it’s very active and the other wants to snooze. They have cleared out their own area.

The eggs that had been rolled around revealed I have a chick that is trying to come out the wrong side. It hasn’t broken through but the outer shell broke. :( I put oil on what was exposed and will look at it later .

I think I’m going to take the two out. The silkie baby is pecking at all the other eggs.

Last edited:
I kind of feel bad sharing my excitement for my five new hatchlings and nine pips today when so many of you are having a rough time of it :oops:
I do have one so far that I’m pretty sure is dis if that helps?
The rest are looking pretty good. As long as nobody gets overly rambunctious and knocks over all the pips, it’s looking like a good hatch...sorry
BE21CF46-5AD8-4B9F-B9C5-9B905C12EDCB.jpeg 05A77E6F-AEEC-4FEF-813B-5239A8E19B16.jpeg

I kind of feel bad sharing my excitement for my five new hatchlings and nine pips today when so many of you are having a rough time of it :oops:
I do have one so far that I’m pretty sure is dis if that helps?
The rest are looking pretty good. As long as nobody gets overly rambunctious and knocks over all the pips, it’s looking like a good hatch...sorry
View attachment 1718599 View attachment 1718600

Congrats on your new babies. ❤️ Don’t give up on the DIS .. it might just be napping . My smallest egg that I thought was going to hatch first still hasn’t hatched so I’m starting to lean towards DIS too. It’s only on day 20 but the egg isn’t shaking anymore.

The one that is facing the wrong direction has its rear in the air cell (I opened up a section). No progress on the pip on the other side other than the exposed membrane now has a small hole in it. I put coconut oil on its membrane on its rear. I’m hesitant about doing anything because it could still be absorbing. It is cheeping so it’s getting air.
B87E2713-2051-4A0D-8873-F6296C7674A5.jpeg

I have another egg that is pipping on day 20. I think my hatch developed a bit early. I think my temps. mostly were between 99.8-100.0 . I had trouble with my thermometers giving different readings after the first week (I have 4..).

My silkie baby is very active. I might end up separating it from my Orpington with the swollen eyes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom