March Hatch-Along Thread- Come Hatch With Us!!!!!

So I bought a second hygrometer because even after I put the lil jar with a sponge in it it still only was 35%. So my new, new one (my 1st one is brand new too!) says 70%. I can't believe it's like 25% off! I'm going to calibrate the 1st one tonight with the wet salt in a bag, then calibrate the 2nd one tomorrow. It's been hard keeping my humidity up at 65% so how do you raise it even higher for lock down?.....put a second container of water with a sponge in it? What about vent plugs, in or out? Also I wanted to know how much of the sponge should be sticking out of the water? I'm incubating duck eggs in a still air in case anyone is wondering about the high humidity.
Is this set up ok for optimum humidity readings?........

Here you can see the lil square hygrometer on top of the eggs. Then the white hanging wire from my digital hygrometer/thermometer & the thermometer that came with my bator is on top of the other eggs. Also the jar w/ sponge.

Days 1-18 should be in the low to mid 30's for humidity and they bump up to the mid 60's for lockdown.

Lost 2 of our eggs that were weeping. They were both Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. Have one Wyandotte egg left along with the others.
farmhand aka Clifford aka Grampa
smile.png

Lost 2 of our eggs that were weeping.  They were both Blue Laced Red Wyandottes.  Have one Wyandotte egg left along with the others.
farmhand aka Clifford aka Grampa:)

So, I have a question about that. Were the eggs really porous? I have some that I debated tossing, but I kept them just to see what happens. I keep checking for weeping because I'm so paranoid now.

So, I have a question about that. Were the eggs really porous? I have some that I debated tossing, but I kept them just to see what happens. I keep checking for weeping because I'm so paranoid now.

Being new to this, I'm not sure how to give a correct answer but I would say they were oozing. Based on what I have read, I moved them out of the bater.

Being new to this, I'm not sure how to give a correct answer but I would say they were oozing.  Based on what I have read,  I moved them out of the bater.

I guess what I was asking was if the more porous the egg, the more likely they are to weep? But if you're new to this too you probaly don't know the answer, either. :/

I have set 2 set of eggs in bator for martch. 12 and 27 so please hope for the best all are mix eggs not sure of the kind.. Hope everyone has a nice hatch..

I'd like to chime in! I set a total of 26 eggs! ( 12 are a barnyard mix of brown (10) and olive(2) layers covered by an EE roo) and 12 EE eggs, 1 ee/silkie hen covered by EE roo, and one AGF hen covered by EE roo. Such an exciting mix! Exspecially that I get some F1 & F2 olive eggers!! Set date was a bit staggered. 17 eggs were set on 2/23 8 more eggs were set on 2/24 and one more egg was set today. So hatch dates are 3/16,3/17, and 3/18! :D

Last edited:
I am wondering....with having staggered hatch dates....how do you control humidity and turning after lockdown ?

The two times I had weeping eggs neither was porous. This last time I think it was because the eggs were shipped in very cold weather.

Back
Top Bottom