May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
I set my Meyer Hatchery eggs a few days ago, and have been so busy I haven't logged on to tell you guys about it! I ended up tossing one CCL egg without even trying because it was cracked all over, and I felt that nail polishing it wouldn't even help. There was one other CCL egg with a hairline crack that I didn't nail polish. Two CCL eggs, the welsummer egg, and a cochin egg went to my broody hen and she accepted them without hesitation 🥰. She is so protective of her nest that I'm not sure I'll ever be able to candle them, though. The rest of the eggs are split between a brinsea mini ii advance and janoel 12. I finally got a sponge for the janoel 12 and it seems to really be helping it hold humidity longer.

19 eggs set April 17 due to hatch sometime around May 8!

Good morning. The broody is on day 2. I saw her out to bathe, eat and drink yesterday. She was coming out first thing in the morning but now it's a bit later in the day. While she was busy I added some fresh hay to her nest box and made sure the eggs were back in the same position she left them in. Here's a pic of her nest box ready for the night. She still gets plenty of air flow and is reasonably safe from predators. Air flow will be important, our temps will be around 100* during the day by the end of the week.
20200418_172405.jpg

Well here I go I’m finishing the incubator build today, and I’ll be putting eggs in tonight maybe tomorrow morning, I’m waiting on new hygrometer to arrive today it’s out for delivery :confused:. these are are 100% no clue barn yard mix..they were free so I not complaining for my first try at incubating.

2FEC09DF-A143-47E1-A401-C3325538A559.jpeg

Good morning. The broody is on day 2. I saw her out to bathe, eat and drink yesterday. She was coming out first thing in the morning but now it's a bit later in the day. While she was busy I added some fresh hay to her nest box and made sure the eggs were back in the same position she left them in. Here's a pic of her nest box ready for the night. She still gets plenty of air flow and is reasonably safe from predators. Air flow will be important, our temps will be around 100* during the day by the end of the week.
View attachment 2098791
I have One of those nesting boxes and my chickens are obsessed with it.

We bought a nice stainless steel one from Harris Farms, but they would rather use the other one.

Well here I go I’m finishing the incubator build today, and I’ll be putting eggs in tonight maybe tomorrow morning, I’m waiting on new hygrometer to arrive today it’s out for delivery :confused:. these are are 100% no clue barn yard mix..they were free so I not complaining for my first try at incubating.

View attachment 2098875
You might want to store them pointy side down until you put them in the incubator.

I set my Meyer Hatchery eggs a few days ago, and have been so busy I haven't logged on to tell you guys about it! I ended up tossing one CCL egg without even trying because it was cracked all over, and I felt that nail polishing it wouldn't even help. There was one other CCL egg with a hairline crack that I didn't nail polish. Two CCL eggs, the welsummer egg, and a cochin egg went to my broody hen and she accepted them without hesitation 🥰. She is so protective of her nest that I'm not sure I'll ever be able to candle them, though. The rest of the eggs are split between a brinsea mini ii advance and janoel 12. I finally got a sponge for the janoel 12 and it seems to really be helping it hold humidity longer.

19 eggs set April 17 due to hatch sometime around May 8!
I gave up on using nail polish on cracked eggs because honestly I tried it on two of my quail and neither of them made it to lockdown. Both started getting stinky.

I will not use anything to seal cracks ever again and I will just throw eggs away, it's not worth ruining my whole hatch anymore.

I have One of those nesting boxes and my chickens are obsessed with it.

We bought a nice stainless steel one from Harris Farms, but they would rather use the other one.
My flock prefers to lay in them even though they're outside the coop. We made a nice wood one and they snubbed it so I took it out.

My flock prefers to lay in them even though they're outside the coop. We made a nice wood one and they snubbed it so I took it out.
My best layers use the stainless steel one now, it took over a month. The Cochins hog the plastic one so they realized the stainless steel one was always available. Think my Cochins might be going broody.

Back
Top Bottom