May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

The babies finally settled down, I think it was a lot of just adjusting to a new environment. Thanks everyone for the replies!

Does anyone have any suggestions for a chick with a swollen neck? I think it's a hatching related edema...this chick hatched in lightening speed (it went from no pip to 100% out in under 20 minutes). Its still in the incubator sleeping quite a bit. She is on the right.

Attachments

• 20200531_180656.jpg
    20200531_180656.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 5
4 guinea hatched, one didn’t make it. Keeping them in the little icu brooder for another day or so. Little fluff monster Pavlovskaya didn’t make it either. He ended up needing to be culled. His constant cries were so loud there’s no way he wasn’t in pain.

Pretty little keet! Anyone with guinea know what color it will end up being? Mother and father possibilities are pearl, pearl pied and royal purple.
DAD48F91-351D-4014-9DFB-2FFB2D4CB2BE.jpeg

My son is obsessed with his turkey. It stays in the little icu brooder during the night and spends the day with him...:rolleyes:
AE5C0792-5698-4092-B233-07B43F85BDD5.jpeg

I would leave it be and see if it still hatches. I have seen some times late in hatch, if the egg has fluid in it and you candle it can mimic movement even if the egg is not viable, but if the veins are still red....
It has no fluid at all. Normally I would just repair the hole and put it back with the parents but because of the toenail hole his kiddo is shrink wrapped in there. That is the reason I’ve got in in isolation and I’ve been dripping warmed sterile saline onto it every so often. I took a pic but not sure if you can really see. I had just added water drops so it’s really glossy. If it dries again before the next drops I’ll try and get a pic of that too. I hope I can see when it is ready to pip the membrane so I don’t drown it
F955D0FF-7E16-4B44-859B-CE22C51B1270.jpeg

So today we are on day 21. Out of 14 barnyard mix chicks, 3 hatched in day 19, 1 hatched yesterday and 1 I had to assist in hatching about an hour ago. We have at least 3 more that have externally pipped. I hated opening the bator to assist but it was dying in the shell. It had pipped on the 19th and it was a hole just big enough for the beak to poke through. It could breath but seemed to be unable to bring it's beak back inside to start zipping. It just kept trying to poke at the air. Around 3am this morning it managed to reposition and made a tiny start at zipping but it was evident that it was not breathing well. The biggest concern was that the membrane had turned brown and was obviously drying out. I could see it was dry so I took it out, carefully removed the shell over the air sac and could see it was somewhat shrink-wrapped. There was no blood, veins, or fluid so I carefully peeled away a bit of the membrane over the beak and it came to life! It started peeping and pushing and by the time I put it back in the bator it was half way out of the shell. She had a rough time but she's hatched and resting. Her shell was dry. I'm really hoping that opening the bator didn't cause problems for the remaining eggs but if I hadn't, I'm convinced she wouldn't have made it. She was definitely going downhill. Now that I've gotten through my first assist, I have better confidence! Crossing my fingers for the remaining 9 let to hatch!

@Pyxis would be able to help you with this. Unfortunately none of us here hatch that type of bird and we do not want to give you the wrong advice. You can message Pyxis as well.

What type of bird is this? Pigeon?

Just looked back and saw it's a cockatiel. It actually doesn't look shrinkwrapped to me, which is good. I'd say keep the membrane moist, and hopefully it will internally pip on its own.

If not, you can wait until things are more absorbed, find the beak, find a place near the beak with no veins, and VERY carefully put a slit in the membrane. I have done this successfully for chicken chicks before.

Back
Top Bottom