Medications for Cecal Worms In Poultry

IloveWyandotte's

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2018
I have found some names of medications for cecal worms in poultry, like Levamisole, Ergamisol, Albendazole, Safe Guard, and Pancure. Does anyone know if these medications are proper for laying hens. If so WHERE TO BUY THEM. Or perhaps another medication that can rid these cecal worms.We have laying Wyandotte's, and Sexlinks. We adopted an old non laying Sexlink who was full of Cecal worms, and gave them to the rest of our our flock. Thank you!

Many times hens will suffer a prolapsed vent. It is red and sticks out attracting pecking. Or they get pecked around the vent and that becomes red and bloody or infected. Then mix those up with some poop getting stuck, and it is prime for flies, and then maggots. There are a bunch of BYC threads to read about flystrike with pictures, and here is a good article about it:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

I am glad that Dawg has helped you, and I also thought maggot or flystrike when you described your hen’s vent. I have never dealt with it, but it is always a good practice to clean any poopy vents in warm weather. There are always a couple in my flock who have them. That can help prevent flystrike, but if there is an injury or wound, it can also occur.

Great advice from Eggcessive as always.
I take care of poopy butt by using the spray nozzle on my garden hose. I just cradle the hen backwards in my arm and use my other free hand to spray her rear end. It's real easy to do. Of course in winter time I bring the hen inside the patio and use a container of warm water and an old rag to clean them off...wearing disposable gloves too lol.

If you want to give them an excellent probiotic, much better than yogurt, get some buttermilk and mix it with plain boiled white rice. Make sure the rice has cooled. Then give it to your chickens kind of runny with the buttermilk and watch them scoff it up.
Buttermilk mixed with rice helps control diarrhea as well.

I found safeguard liquid goat wormer, 125ml, suspension 10% (100mg/ml). Would you know the dosage/amount of water ratio that I should give them? Thank you so much for your info, and time. Very much appreciated!
Dont mix it in water, it settles to the bottom. It also loses effectiveness.
Give 1cc orally to each chicken 3 days in a row, use a syringe without a needle. Worm them first thing in the morning before they eat. That'll take care of the cecal worms and large roundworms, if they have large roundworms.

I have found some names of medications for cecal worms in poultry, like Levamisole, Ergamisol, Albendazole, Safe Guard, and Pancure. Does anyone know if these medications are proper for laying hens. If so WHERE TO BUY THEM. Or perhaps another medication that can rid these cecal worms.We have laying Wyandotte's, and Sexlinks. We adopted an old non laying Sexlink who was full of Cecal worms, and gave them to the rest of our our flock. Thank you!
Do you have any pictures of the worms in the droppings? Just wondering how you know they are cecal worms? Most worms are not easily seen except for roundworms and tapeworms. Dawg53 is a real expert on worms and treatment.

Back
Top Bottom