Metal roofing over run ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Summerfaith2, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Summerfaith2

Summerfaith2 In the Brooder

Feb 7, 2015
    Hello i am just starting to build my run and my husband wants to put a metal roof on it as we have 2 halks living 100yds away. Im concerned about lighting will this slow egg production. As one end is the coop and the other side and end is a stockaid fence and that leaves one long side for light none derect. Thanks for the help.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging 9 Years

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    It will not be a problem at all. Just tell him to slope it so the water runs off away from the coop and run to help keep the run dry.

3. coop-er

coop-er Songster 5 Years

Nov 28, 2012

Our coop and run is brand new. My very handy and wonderful husband built it and he put a metal roof on. We love, love it! It keeps the run dry in all weather. I don't have direct light either, but I also don't have rain inside, no mud The Hawks stay away from it and it looks great. I expect it will last forever, as they are so durable. Ridgerunner is right, slope it for runoff and you should be very happy.

1 person likes this.
  4. JeepDVL45

JeepDVL45 In the Brooder

Jun 6, 2012
    Chatham NY
    I have a metal roof over my run as well, one of the best things I did. You can always put a clear roofing panel or two in if you'd like, but you shouldn't need it. You should get quite a bit of residual light. My girls are perfectly happy with the amount of light they're getting, they're not showing any issues laying (if you look at the pic below, I had installed a window in the coop before putting the roof up...while the roof blocks a lot of the light for that window, when clean the coop/grab eggs, the inside is still pretty well lit. (I did eventually put a 2nd window in). I'm located in NY just south of Albany.....while the roof is nice to keep rain out....its so much more useful for helping to keep a couple feet of snow out lately.

[​IMG]

The only other thing I did do -- which is more for me then my girls -- was pick up a string of outdoor LED solar lights off ebay for about $13 with shipping. That way, when its a little dark out at night, I can throw the lights on in the run to see a bit better.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'm in the PNW, we don't have "direct sunlight" for weeks at a time [​IMG]. As long as it's light outside, the birds will get the light they need to lay. My current run is uncovered, I sure wish I had a nice metal roof on it.

1 person likes this.
  6. HickoryHollow

HickoryHollow Songster

May 28, 2012
    Bolivar, Ohio
    I divided part of my run with a 7' high wood fence. I put a metal roof over the part closest to the coop. When it is snowing outside, I keep the door closed and they stay under the roof. When it is nicer, I open the door and they have the run of it all. The part that doesn't have a roof is covered in bird netting. I have had some trouble this winter with wet heavy snows sticking to the bird netting and sagging it down so I plan to replace that with chicken wire I order online. It should be here in the next few days. Hope the weather straightens out so I can get it put up soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: