Metal roosting poles and cool weather

ellie_may12

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 31, 2009
St Tammany
I got the bright idea of using some metal fencing poles that happened to be laying around in the yard as roosting poles for my chickens, but now that cooler weather is setting in I'm wondering if it is a bad idea. I know how cold metal can be compared to wood or PVC and even though I live in southern Louisiana and freezing weather is rare, I'm still wondering if I should swap them out for wood. The chickens don't seem to mind them now, but in a couple of months, I don't want to find frozen chicken feet on the poles. Thoughts?

I would switch it for wood. Just go find a tree branch - or a 2 x 4 from a construction site, then you'll never have to worry about it.

Bad idea, the metal will never "warm up" for them, and if someone pees on it in freezing weather, feet can be stuck, or feathers pulled,,,,,,,,,use 2x4's, your birds will be warmer, and happier. Easier to sleep on too.

Last edited:
i have read , and took this advise and changed my roost as well,.... a 2x4 with the 4" side for roosting is great. they can have a lot of room to put the entire foot there and snuggle down to cover all toes with feathers to stay warm. It works really well for mine.
I am in warmer climate as well, but still , want my birds to be as comfortable as I can make it, instead of just 'bearable', know what I mean???

Flat is better than round for a perch in cold weather, so the bird's feathers can cover toes.

Utterly agree with all the above -- use wood, not metal -- and would just add, save the metal fenceposts for something they can be *useful* for. A dead treebranch or scrap 2x4 is a dime a dozen; posts you can stick into the ground and have them still be that way five years later are much harder to come by and more useful. I am sure you will find something to do with them eventually. Listen, is that the sound of chickens whispering "build us a larger run!"?? LOL Or anything else of course. REally, they're much more useful as posts than as perches
smile.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom