Meyer Ameraucanas

SarahLadd

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 23, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
So after the horror of my local baby bird experience, I'm looking to order replacement birds from Meyer. Does anyone have experience with their Ameraucanas? Pictures to share, of adults and eggs? Are they selling true birds or are they easter eggers? I lust for the real thing, I'm not concerned with price. I'll admit I already placed my order for all female, an Ameraucana, a welsummer and a lavender orpington.

Im sorry, but I don’t know about the chicken breeds or breeders your talking about. But I do suggest the lavender orpington, we were going to by some but by the time we got to the farm place there were no more. Any chance your looking for a full grown rooster? I need to get rid of because of city limits...;( he crows often, but would be a good guard for a flock! Hope this helps!

I do not have any experience with Meyer, but in the future I plan on ordering Ameraucanas from either Chicken Scratch Poultry or Northwoods Poultry. CSP says their line is from Whitmore Farms so they should be well bred. If your Meyer birds don't work out there's two other options!

I think the quality of Ameraucana sold by Meyer has to be a he highest it will ever be. They are working with first and second generation from some of the most well respected breeders. 5 years down the road, they will be very different. I welcome the addition of Ameraucana to hatcheries because it forces them to correctly label EEs. That will trickle down to the feed stores and chicken keepers. It can only improve the EE pens as well. Rooster culls from the Ameraucana pens will improve egg color and shape on he EE side. Nothing more disappointing then a brown egg laying EE.

Meyer has both easter Eggers and true bbs ameraucana.....if you order the latter that is what you'll get, in production quality.

So I'm a goldsmith by trade, and when someone says "production quality" in regard to my line of work, it means "poorest quality we can get away with selling". Does that mean the same thing in this case?

So I'm a goldsmith by trade, and when someone says "production quality" in regard to my line of work, it means "poorest quality we can get away with selling". Does that mean the same thing in this case?
Hatcheries deal in quantity, not quality. Mass producing birds to meet demand means the careful selection of breeding stock, culling and breeding for the standard of perfection for any given breed is not the focus. The birds turned out in production breeding generally hold a reasonable resemblance to what that breed should be.

I have 4 Blue Ameraucanas from Meyer. Two are adults (2 years old) and the other two are only 4 weeks old. This is a pic of my hen and rooster (Kono & Kalani) I'm not an expert by any means, but they are good, strong chickens and look beautiful. My 4 week olds appear to be splash, which I am pretty happy about!
20171103_184300.jpg

Meyer does sell true Ameraucanas, surprisingly, after all the mislabeling that goes on! :rolleyes: I've owned a blue and a black from Meyer. The black was a good bird, of decent quality to my untrained eye (I'm not in this for show purposes, so of course I'd be content), great layer of gorgeous, huge, blue eggs. :) Sadly, she had a tendency towards infections, and eventually died of egg yolk peritonitis. This wasn't a reflection on Meyer, I don't believe, it was simply her, individually. My blue developed crossbeak, therefore wasn't very pretty to look at, but she was overall a good layer.
DSCN7623.JPG

DSCN7639.JPG

DSCN8009.JPG

Ameraucana egg on right:
DSCN9997.JPG

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom