Meyer Hatchery - Worst Experience Ever

I only had one order from Meyer and that was this spring for 15 chicks. My only gripe was 2 out of the 5 BR's are roosters. I wonder if the hatcheries don't do this on purpose. If they can slide in a rooster or two in almost every order, they are getting rid of a lot of them. One of the chicks (partridge rock) died about 3-4 days after arriving, but it was not Meyer's fault. The other 14 are hale and hardy! I would not have a problem ordering from Meyer again.

This time of the year is really bad for ordering shipped chicks. Last year I ordered 10 from Ideal. 9 arrived DOA the last died 3 days later. It was the heat. They refunded me and were very nice, but I dont order shipped chicks anymore for that reason. I found out from the postal service that the trucks they come to the post office in are not air conditioned and in 100 degree heat you can expect the trailer to be at the very least 130 degrees. Just this last Thursday at work we recieved a special order of chicks and 2 geese from Cackle. When the post office called and I went to pick them up I was afraid to look in the box but all arrived safely. It has been unbearably hot here since June with just a few days of nice. Today heat indexes in the 100's. and I dont have AC. Oh well in the olden days they didnt even have fans and the women had to wear those long dresses and bloomers so guess I shouldnt complain.
lau.gif
As far as ordering chicks I would wait til fall or see if I could find some within driving distance. And you bet I would be on the phone tomorrow to find out about the charge. It is probably a mistake.

Just to throw in a defending of McMurray, I order 75 from them in April of this year. Moderate temps down there, still freezing here. All 75 arrived healthy and kicking. I did get some runts of Black stars, I called McMurray to ask about them and they offered to refund or replace, I just kept them and they've grown out fine. I think a large part of these problems is the temps down there. The chicks have to go in a truck to the PO, then in another truck to the airport, then in a plane, then another truck to the PO. I don't know if the PO truck there are air conditioned but think about how hot your car gets when you're in the grocery store. That truck gets pretty hot too, it's not the fault of the hatchery. Not really the fault of the PO either, it's just conditions. Consider ordering your next chicks when your temps are more moderate.
On my order, I figured April in Iowa isn't that warm so it's a better time to ship then July when it's an oven.

I think every hatchery has had a loss, sometimes it is the hatchery and they'll usually replace the order. I'm not going to slam a hatchery for a weather loss, they can't help that. Now the credit card issue, I also would be annoyed. Since I've had that problem before, I use a feature from Bank of America. I can generate a false credit card #, limit the value of the charge and limit how long it's valid. THis takes care of that issue, I order $200 worth of chicks to ship April 7, the card is only valid for 1 charge of 200 and expired on the 10th. (I allowed them a couple days for processing)

Since you're in an oven down there, you might consider locating your state thread and look on there for someone selling chicks and go get them instead of shipping. THere are swap meets to get them also. Just thinking of a way for you to get the chicks without dealing with the shipment. I can honestly say my incubated chicks are always healthier and less pasty Butt then shipped chicks, shipping is pretty hard on them.

got my chicks this morning post office called and said they were here, after reading this post I was trying to stay positive, but as I assume 25 chicks all dead ............... I called Meyer and they ask if I wanted them to ship another order. I refuse and they are suppose to be refunding my money. I don't fault them now if and I do mean if I place a order in the cooler season and they are all dead then ..............

Back
Top Bottom