Meyers, tracking and blizzard, oh my!

Merrymouse

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Hi. I need help. I ordered my chicks a while back from Meyers today was the hatch day. I called Friday because there is monster blizzard coming to Massachusetts tomorrow Tuesday 3/14. I was assured that they ship in bad weather and not to worry. Well, that is not in my nature. So I did an online chat with a very lovely women who checked my order and said it was marked as shipped this morning at 9:15am and that meant it was off to the post office and once it got to the post office And scanned in I would get a tracking number. So I've checked a million times and no tracking number yet. I have not received an email or any notification about a tracking number. I called my post office and told them I'm expecting a chick delivery. So has this happened to anyone else? No tracking number given? I'm just super worried about the blizzard. I really don't want the poor chickie babies to perish. Thanks

Yay! I went to the breeder this morning and my chicks are here! Only 4 for now, hoping to add some orpingtons and maybe wyandotte later in the weekend or early next week. Oh in in the video I called my maran cooper instead of copper
roll.png
Don't mind me, I was excited. So far the swedish flower is the feistiest. The maran the biggest. They ate immediately and explored around. They are now under MHP napping. I tried to show them how to use the nipple waterer but they didnt really do it. Should I put a regular waterer in there? Heres a quick video. Also I could not get a good picture of the maran. The white paper towels against the black bird were causing glare. I hope I have hens but I guess its 50/50.
fl.gif

I know i have a hen for the legbar but the others were a crap shoot. I thought we could be pretty certain with the barred rock but she said that these are not production barred rock but heritage and you can't really go by the head spot with heritage so we'll see. But for now I already really love them
love.gif

My husband is already smitten too, just as I predicted. Here you go:
0.jpg

Hi. I need help. I ordered my chicks a while back from Meyers today was the hatch day. I called Friday because there is monster blizzard coming to Massachusetts tomorrow Tuesday 3/14. I was assured that they ship in bad weather and not to worry. Well, that is not in my nature. So I did an online chat with a very lovely women who checked my order and said it was marked as shipped this morning at 9:15am and that meant it was off to the post office and once it got to the post office And scanned in I would get a tracking number. So I've checked a million times and no tracking number yet. I have not received an email or any notification about a tracking number. I called my post office and told them I'm expecting a chick delivery. So has this happened to anyone else? No tracking number given? I'm just super worried about the blizzard. I really don't want the poor chickie babies to perish. Thanks

Meyers would Not ship if they felt there was a Problem. It takes a little time for the tracking number to get posted. Plug the brooder in!!

Last edited:
It could be that Meyer did not ship the chicks right away because of the weather forecast, but I don't know. Polk, Ohio is where they are located. Follow the mixing instructions on the SaveAChick. Use the Poultry Nutridrench or the other, don't use both. I would use them for 2 days, and if they seem okay, then stop. But make sure to dip their beaks in the water and sprinkle a few crumbles around their feet on clean paper towel to teach them to peck at food. Let us know when they arrive, and food luck.

I had an order from Meyer that came in today, hatched on Monday. Tracking said a label was created then I got a text update saying they were in Greeneville, SC (we're in Asheville, NC), then a couple of hours later the local post office was calling saying that they were there and needed to be picked up. Less than 24 hours transit time, if they were packed up when the label was created.

What's completely heartbreaking is only 1 of the 18 babies made it. They were packed appropriately with lots of heat packs in with the bedding and the box was in perfect condition; when I called Meyer they said that the only way that could have happened is exposure (such as the post office village idiot leaving them out on the loading dock). The one baby who made it, an easter egger, is super robust and healthy. I got a full refund, less the cost of the surviving chick.

So don't fret too much about the tracking, my experience is that there is a significant lag in posted location and actual location. I hope your post masters are a little brighter than mine.

I had an order from Meyer that came in today, hatched on Monday. Tracking said a label was created then I got a text update saying they were in Greeneville, SC (we're in Asheville, NC), then a couple of hours later the local post office was calling saying that they were there and needed to be picked up.  Less than 24 hours transit time, if they were packed up when the label was created.

What's completely heartbreaking is only 1 of the 18 babies made it.  They were packed appropriately with lots of heat packs in with the bedding and the box was in perfect condition; when I called Meyer they said that the only way that could have happened is exposure (such as the post office village idiot leaving them out on the loading dock).  The one baby who made it, an easter egger, is super robust and healthy.  I got a full refund, less the cost of the surviving chick.

So don't fret too much about the tracking, my experience is that there is a significant lag in posted location and actual location.  I hope your post masters are a little brighter than mine.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your chicks . And now I have to get up on my soapbox. Your experience seems to repeat itself way to often when dealing with Meyer. I also had a tragic outcome when I ordered from them. A couple years ago I received an order from them that had a dead chick when I picked them up and two more died during the 10 minute drive home. They kept dying one after another until there were only 10 left out of 28. They seemed to die by breed, pretty much all of a few of the different breeds didn't survive. Meyer claimed that it had to be the post office employees fault. Me, not being satisfied by that excuse, took four of the dead chicks to the University of Wisconsin diagnostic lab to determine what they died from. When the test results came in, it was determined that they all died from yolk sack infections. It had nothing to do with the shipper. I have purchased and had shipped about 15 different batches of chicks from greenfire farms in Florida, and have never lost a single chick during shipping. I will say it again, buy from reputable breeders, NOT hatcheries. They may cost a little more, but you will more than likely get better quality birds and fewer heartbreaks. If you are determined to buy from hatcheries please do your due diligence and make sure you know who you're dealing with. Realize that someone on this site could be working for the hatchery that you inquire about and feeding you bad information. I learned the hard way too.
Rob

Did the post office say that they'd call you as soon as the babies come in? Also if they were already shipped out there should be a tracking number somewhere. I don't know anything about shipped chicks but with regular packages there's usually a tracking number right away once it hits the first post office.

You might check with your post office again, and ask if there is a place or central post office they go to before your post office gets them. It's always worrisome when you are expecting chicks, and especially tomorrow during bad weather.

I called my post office and told them I'm expecting a chick delivery. So has this happened to anyone else? No tracking number given? I'm just super worried about the blizzard. I really don't want the poor chickie babies to perish. Thanks
Hopefully the sorting facility in Shrewsbury will give you a call first thing in the morning. I've picked up there before. The PO employees I've met there do care about what happens to the chicks, and won't want to hold them until Wed.

Did the post office say that they'd call you as soon as the babies come in? Also if they were already shipped out there should be a tracking number somewhere. I don't know anything about shipped chicks but with regular packages there's usually a tracking number right away once it hits the first post office.
Yes and I did finally get a tracking # but it says

"a shipping label has been prepared for item at 2:07pm on March 13 in Polk, OH This does not indicate receipt by USPS or the actual mail date"

So whatever that means...
shipping label has been prepared for your item at 2:07 pm on March 13, 2017 in POLK, OH 44866. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. shipping label has been prepared for your item at 2:07 pm on March 13, 2017 in POLK, OH 44866. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date.

Back
Top Bottom