Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a few of you here have peafowl. Just can't remember who you are?

Got a question though.

Will be getting three fully grown peafowl, 1 cock & 2 hens. How in the world am I going to transport the cock? The trip would only be about ten miles or so. Have any of you done this before, or does anyone have any ideas on how to do this.

Best I can come up with is 1) cover the head and towel over the body, holding the bird next to me (or someone else) in the back seat with part of the seat down, with the birds tail laying into the back OR 2) I have a Jeep that I could somehow screen off the back portion, put the back seat down and just let the bird ride in the back.

Looking for the safest (both bird and driver) and least stressful means to do this.

I know a few of you here have peafowl.  Just can't remember who you are?  

Got a question though.

Will be getting three fully grown peafowl, 1 cock & 2 hens.  How in the world am I going to transport the cock?  The trip would only be about ten miles or so.  Have any of you done this before, or does anyone have any ideas on how to do this.

Best I can come up with is 1) cover the head and towel over the body, holding the bird next to me (or someone else) in the back seat with part of the seat down, with the birds tail laying into the back OR 2) I have a Jeep that I could somehow screen off the back portion, put the back seat down and just let the bird ride in the back.

Looking for the safest (both bird and driver)  and least stressful means to do this.

I would say just hold the peacock, and have someone drive. Hold the bird's legs with one hand, and an arm around the body, so it can't kick and flap. Have fun, and post pictures! :pop

Nova- that really stinks about the Silkie- I hope you get whatever is getting them before any others disappear.
For what its worth- she was the broody that got up whenever another hen hatched her eggs. The other silkie is rock-solid. Good Mama.

Update on my chick and my rabbit.
Well, the chick laid in my hand for quite awhile- unconscious? Near dead..I dunno...then it slowly came around. Then, when it was about half-way up, looking broken, it started peeping. Then it peeped louder and realized THE MONSTER was holding it. And it sort of sprang back to life.

I figured I would put it back out with Mom, and whatever happens happens. As soon as it saw Mama Hen, who incidentally was taking a sun bath and did not see me approaching, it sprung from my hand and ran into her feathers.

Checked it when I got home from work- and it was very alive underneath her, and appears fine this morning. Lucky chick.

AND the birds arent acting like I am going to kill them this morning.
hu.gif

I think it is safe to say that FOOFOO has made a full recovery. He hops, he eats, he drinks, he poops. Not much more a rabbit needs to do.
He is in my daughters room with Cheeks.
I will need to get him neutered asap.
My husband said last night, "I bet he isnt happy being back out in that ninety degree weather"...and I told him, 'oh he isnt out there. He is never going back out there.' He is more susceptible to heat stroke now. Now he is an indoor bunny."

I didnt stick around for his response. I was quite angry with him for an unrelated incident so I am surprised I even answered that much.

I think that Michigan needs to make some rules for these new legal fireworks. Last night sounded like I was living in a war-zone. My neighbor two doors down must have spent his entire social security check on these new legal bombs. An hour of constant huge popping, booming, exploding and giant BOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMS that rattled the windows...then when he finished, the person directly behind me started. Im surprised any of my birds have any feathers left- and Dino, my parrot, is not usually affected by the sounds, but with the combat zone directly out our windows, he was pretty stressed.
My little Wubbie dog- all two pounds of her- sat shaking on my lap. Thankfully, my two big dogs are not bothered by the noise. My Great Dane used to react so badly to fireworks, I would literally have to lay on top of her to keep her from jumping through the windows. That was way before this new legal stuff.

Ive got to get chores done before it becomes unbearable in here. Managed to get most of the laundry done yesterday morning, but there is still a little and I need to pull weeds and clean out cages. Everyone have a wonderful day.

Well, my plan for the yard.... As soon as the meaties are processed, their fence is going to go across the back, make it a bit more challenging, and to keep the birds from going back by the woods that way. Neighbors had another pullet snatched yesterday... Why is it always the girls? And this is during daylight. We haven't seen what got it, but with this weather, could be anything on the ground. And this animal is totally eating it. Leaving only wings and feet. So, I am thinking coon or fox. But whatever it is it is not coming by the traps, just kinda waiting for the birds to go that way. So, Carl's are more of a target. Mine are staying close by the garage and the wet ground.

it'll be a very short run down this week... Not much of much but heat!

Glad to hear your chick and bunny are doing good, Kim!!
celebrate.gif

Sorry bout your losses, Nova.
hit.gif

Have the grand kids here, so don't have time to see what's up with every one. Hope you have a great day and stay cool!!

how is it they can be so pea brained? I mean, really now... There is 2 new nest boxes in the garage, and still the dummy lays her egg on the shelf next to the nest box. Doesn't even get in the nest box. Doesn't check it out. Just scratches around on the shelf, drops her load and crack it goes, and walks away! Darn Via!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom