Minnesota!

crap! one of the new mama hens is showing signs of abandoning her chicks. She was pacing back and forth today, and when I went to check this evening, the chicks were distress chirping and she wouldn't let them under her. She was busy nest building, scratching it out, throwing hay over her , she settled down in the nest. Didn't call the chicks. One finally got up the nerve and squirmed under, really had to push to get under. She didn't lift up or anything...the other two got under the same way.

THey are maybe 3 -4 days old, I don't know if she is really going to reject them, or if I can get the other broody to add them to her mix, or if I should get them in a brooder.

Don't want to come home from work and find them all chilled or worse.

Any advice? I would surely listen!

Well here is pictures of how my day went. Well part of it.

As u can see, Buttercup has gone slab sided!

Tail is up and there is constant pacing.

U can see the water sack poking out.

You can see a foot!

Head is poking out!

The whole head is out!

Everything but the back feet are out.

Cleaning her baby boy.

Well here is pictures of how my day went. Well part of it.

As u can see, Buttercup has gone slab sided!

Tail is up and there is constant pacing.

U can see the water sack poking out.

You can see a foot!

Head is poking out!

The whole head is out!

Everything but the back feet are out.

Cleaning her baby boy.

That's awesome how you caught the whole thing! What color do you call the calf?

crap! one of the new mama hens is showing signs of abandoning her chicks. She was pacing back and forth today, and when I went to check this evening, the chicks were distress chirping and she wouldn't let them under her. She was busy nest building, scratching it out, throwing hay over her , she settled down in the nest. Didn't call the chicks. One finally got up the nerve and squirmed under, really had to push to get under. She didn't lift up or anything...the other two got under the same way.

THey are maybe 3 -4 days old, I don't know if she is really going to reject them, or if I can get the other broody to add them to her mix, or if I should get them in a brooder.

Don't want to come home from work and find them all chilled or worse.

Any advice? I would surely listen!

I would set up a brooder. Sorry to hear she is butthead. For just that few, a tote with the heat lamp should do for them just fine.

Back
Top Bottom