Minnesota!

I finally caught up on all of the new posts! So much loss being had. Sad to read. As a dog owner, I'd be absolutely devastated if my dog went after a neighbor dog, chickens, or anything on their property. It's my job to control him and make sure he knows his boundaries. It's just something you do when you own an animal. It sucks that some dog owners don't take ownership seriously. I understand that accidents happen, but make it right and make sure it never happens again.
I finally caught up on all of the new posts! So much loss being had. Sad to read. As a dog owner, I'd be absolutely devastated if my dog went after a neighbor dog, chickens, or anything on their property. It's my job to control him and make sure he knows his boundaries. It's just something you do when you own an animal. It sucks that some dog owners don't take ownership seriously. I understand that accidents happen, but make it right and make sure it never happens again.
Preach it!

This is what I get for expecting German punctuality. *smile*

Agreed!

Wow, things have been tough all over Minnesota! (and florida too, Ralphie)

I'm sorry for the dogs and weasels and the hen who passed from laying problems. I'm down to 20 hens, and one of them is on borrowed time with internal laying problems. Poor baby!

On a happier note, last night was the first night this summer of fireflies! seems to me they are a few weeks early, and my peonies are a few weeks late - mother nature is definitely confused this year.

Thanks Lala..

I am thinking when I get home we need a pray meeting and support group formed for my poor dog. My wife says she is accepting her duties as night watchdog over the chicken with a small attitude. It seems she prefers the couch to a blanket on the floor in the chicken coop.

BUT she is doing an admirable job, no weasels attacks since she moved out there, 2 nights ago. I am thinking she would be happier if I gave her basic cable on her TV.

Wow. So sorry everyone!! So much bad news.

Well all my chickens are laying lots of eggs now. Getting 3-4 a day like I was supposed to. One of my EEs lay eggs in the straw on the bottom of the chicken coop even though I have messed up her nest many times trying to get her to lay in a box. Oh well.

I really hope all these animals stop killing chickens!! I only have my 5. I really like them. I would hate to lose one. Hope things turn around.

Well, I have to add mine to the list. My EE "Baby" passed away yesterday. She is the one who has been laying the rubber eggs since she started laying in January. She had a few good eggs here and there, but for the last 3 months nothing but thin shelled or rubber eggs. She quit laying about a week ago, she may have been laying them internally. I'm not sure. She was a sweetheart and very curious and smart. I tried about every suggestion to get her eggs firm. layer feed, extra calcium (liquid and calcitrate), probiotics, tried de-worming. I'm heartbroken. She was a sweetheart. She seemed ok Thursday, she seemed hot at one time during free ranging, so I brought her in to cool off, after 15 minutes she was feisty and yelling at me to bring her back out. She ate, she drank tons of water. She seemed fine when I checked on them yesterday before work on the roost with the rest of the girls. My husband said she came out of the coop like usual with the rest of the girls. She died while I was at work. looked like she just fell asleep, she was laying down on her side with her eyes closed. I'll continue to monitor the rest of the flock, they seemed fine last night free ranging all over the place. RIP Baby.
I'm sorry Cluckies. She was a beautiful bird. :hugs

I think last time I posted about chickens, I was trying to graft a second batch of chicks onto my little silkie. Well, she took to them fine but they didn't seem to understand to get under her to get warm so I brought them back inside and thought I'd just brood them with the meatballs that were coming the next week.

Then my neighbor's dog ATE those two older chicks she had been raising!! I heard her clucking in a distressed way & looked out to see him chewing on something. When he finished, he put his nose to the ground & started sniffing after my hen. He backed off after I yelled at him, but I was really upset about those chicks. The neighbors never call the dog away from my chickens, they insist he's "herding" them, never mind the fact that they've never trained it to herd & hadn't given a command to do so. I can't be mad at the dog for having morons for owners, though.

Well, they're tying him up in the afternoons or so they say, so I can still let out my hens. My dog is friends with their dog, so won't chase him off. The day I was having my baby, my teenage son had to chase him off again - he was busted before he got a chicken but was obviously trying to get one. If he gets in my yard while the chickens are out again, I will be bringing him a nice piece of meat (maybe some chicken!), luring him into a kennel and dropping him off at animal control.

Anyway, I was able to soothe my little silkie with those other chicks. I think since she's not keeping after the older ones, she was more inclined to go sit on the younger chicks when they got cold. They are now following her "commands" and everything. I'd like to let her out with them, but I'm worried about that dog.

I need more portable pens!

Anyone in Minnesota have Silkies for sale, I live in North Dakota, and my younger sister had some and a raccoon opened a locked door(why are they so smart!!!) And killed all of them and ate 6 of the eleven. And we could pick them up.

I'm sorry! Hugs to both of you. :hugs

My hen hatched 5 ducklings out of 5 eggs!!!:D

Does anyone want some ducklings in the near future?? I'm going to be selling them once she weans them off. Pm me if interested.

Back
Top Bottom