Mites and Lice

mojo52

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2018
Indianapolis
I have a rescued bantam rooster that I have been treating for almost 4 weeks. He had bald areas on neck, under wings, a bald, red very irritated area on his chest, leg mites, an area on his back before the tail that is very thick and hard stuck down like concrete where you cannot even see his skin, and some quills on his wings that had almost no feathers. He had also been being bullied by 3 or more full size roosters.
I started with poultry dust, a bath seven days later, then dusted again and use vaseline every 3 days on legs and head. Clean almost daily and spray with coop spray. I am also feeding him a high quality food "food for show birds" supposedly. He does have some new feathers emerging on his neck and overall except feet and wattles, is looking some better. He is in an area about 25 ft by 15 ft. I would like to treat the whole area if anyone has any suggestions. Also have tried DE. Thanks :)
I have found this very interesting article http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140
In advance, I hope I have created this posting properly!

Photos of your rooster would be helpful.
Do you have a photo of the show bird feed, especially the nutritional content?

A permetrhin based poultry spray or Elector PSP would be good to treat housing.
I would keep him by himself and see that he is eating/drinking well. Offer poultry vitamins a couple of time a week.

Feathers that are damaged from bullying, mites/lice, etc. will be replaced when he molts.

I am new to chickens and my husband insisted we put him with the others after I brought him home because he was going crazy in the smaller 3 x 5ft pen we had him in, didn't eat or drink (that we saw)for over 6 hrs and it was 100 degree heat index. I don't think he had ever had any close human contact or been caged. This has been a very big live and learn experience. The feed is Manna Pro Gamebird/Showbird non medicated, I no longer have the bag, he also free ranges on 3/4 acre about 4 hrs a day. Here are some pics.
WIN_20180721_081004.JPG
WIN_20180721_081104.JPG

It's always a good idea to keep new birds separated (quarantined) for a minimum of 2wks so you can observe them for illness and check for parasites.

You want to watch that he is eating/drinking well, re-treat with the poultry dust or spray in 7-10days to kill any lice or mites that hatch. For SLM re-apply your oil/ointment at least once a week, working it into the legs and feet to smother the mites.

As for the hardened area before the tail, a photo of that would be good, but it sounds like a scab? Probably from pecking injuries.

He is definitely eating and drinking well had some very big droppings the lately, seems very happy with these hens and they with him I truly couldn't ask for a better behaved flock of birds.
Can I put oil on his wattles and ear area as well as he scratches at his ears quite a lot? I will try and get some pics of his back.

Photos of your rooster would be helpful.
Do you have a photo of the show bird feed, especially the nutritional content?

A permetrhin based poultry spray or Elector PSP would be good to treat housing.
I would keep him by himself and see that he is eating/drinking well. Offer poultry vitamins a couple of time a week.

Feathers that are damaged from bullying, mites/lice, etc. will be replaced when he molts.
The feed
Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein Min................ 24.00%
Lysine Min............................. 1.20%
Methionine Min...................... 0.45%
Crude Fat Min........................ 3.00%
Crude Fiber Max.................... 5.00%
Calcium Min............................ 1.00%
Calcium Max........................... 1.50%
Phosphorus Min......................... 0.90%
Salt Min................................... 0.20%
Salt Max................................... 0.70%
Soybean Meal, Corn, Wheat Middlings, Vegetable Oil, Yeast Culture, DL-Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Bentonite, Salt, Ferrous Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Oidate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement

He looks like silkie or silkie mix......could have those frizzle frazzle funky feathers.
Full molt should restore good feathers....so might have to wait for that.
Do you have any idea how old he is?

Rescuing birds can bring pests and disease to your flock....

Check the rest of your birds for lice and mites.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

The feed
Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein Min................ 24.00%
Lysine Min............................. 1.20%
Methionine Min...................... 0.45%
Crude Fat Min........................ 3.00%
Crude Fiber Max.................... 5.00%
Calcium Min............................ 1.00%
Calcium Max........................... 1.50%
Phosphorus Min......................... 0.90%
Salt Min................................... 0.20%
Salt Max................................... 0.70%
Soybean Meal, Corn, Wheat Middlings, Vegetable Oil, Yeast Culture, DL-Methionine, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Bentonite, Salt, Ferrous Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Oidate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement
Thanks for that.
I would feed him that until the bag runs out, then go with a Flock Raiser/All Flock type feed that is slightly less protein (18-20%). Even when you get the parasites under control, the ragged feathers won't be replaced until he molts.

He looks like silkie or silkie mix......could have those frizzle frazzle funky feathers.
Full molt should restore good feathers....so might have to wait for that.
Do you have any idea how old he is?

Rescuing birds can bring pests and disease to your flock....

Check the rest of your birds for lice and mites.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

He is supposedly about 10 months old but I really don't know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom