Mites

lablover

Songster
7 Years
Apr 7, 2012
I have 4 3-4 day old chicks with a broody hen. About a week and a half ago, I treated the rest of the flock with adams flea spray for mites. I didn't treat the broody, but I'm sure she has mites, because I saw one on a chick today. The coop is separated for the chicks and hen, and they have a pretty good sized nest of hay that covers about 1/3 of their side. So how do I treat the chicks and hen? I can get rid of all of the hay and just leave her a portable nest for easy cleaning.

I would use the same product, myself. It may not be the greatest thing for them, but these parasites can be very hard on new chicks. Maybe try applying as lightly as possible. I'd also put ome fresh hay in the nest and spray it lightly, too. Let it dry before giving the brood access.

Could I rub it on them with my hands, or does it need to be sprayed? I also have DE but I believe its several years old.

You could do it either way, though you might get less on them if you sprayed it. If you could find a helper, maybe?

DE doesn't "age;" it is skeletons of tiny organisms. But it also doesn't do a lot for an infestation of mites/lice.

One thing that will help SOME is wood ashes in their dust bath.

Ok, just wasn't sure if you were meaning that I need to get a lot on them, or not. I'll have to get someone to help because the hen won't be easy.

Spray on the neck nape, where back meets in a small wet 1/2 squirt. Then, another 1/2 squirt right below vent, but not on vent. They will move the product around and where needed with their beaks. This advice was given to me by a top breeder of BCM. Just a word to the wise- this stuff smells strong so you know who's been dosed. A henhouse full of treated birds is smelly, make sure to have adequate ventilation.

Do I need to treat the whole flock again? Right now they are separated from the chicks. They free range, so the smell goes with them lol. I plan on letting the broody and chicks out to explore after dosing them as well.

When I treated the flock the first time, I sprayed quite a bit under their wings, on their back and around the vent.

Do I need to treat the whole flock again? Right now they are separated from the chicks. They free range, so the smell goes with them lol. I plan on letting the broody and chicks out to explore after dosing them as well.

The general idea is to treat birds and coop once, including changing out the litter and spraying cracks in walls, then repeat in 10 days. The idea is, the original spraying kills bug but not their eggs, and in 10 days, any eggs will have hatched. Don't omit the bottom of the roost; there is one type of bug that stays there during the day then gets on the bird at night.

Of course, the trouble is, you're not likely to get every bug the first time around.....

Ok, thanks both of you!! Every one was treated and the chicks seem to be doing fine. I didn't see any mites on the hens from glancing through the feathers on their backs. Any skin that was irritated from the mites before seems to be healing, and new feathers are coming in here and there. One thing I wasn't sure on before was if it was safe to eat the eggs after treating with adams.... I held off a few days last time.

Back
Top Bottom