Heartsopenwide

Songster
Jan 23, 2021
Who has a mixed flock? Ducks and chickens. I have had chickens for over 3yrs but have ducks coming in June. Now I am reading it is bad to have a mixed flock do to disease. Do need to be concerned? Who is more at risk?, ducks or chickens? Which diseases ?

I had a mixed flock for a few years several years ago
However I was extremely lucky back then since I apparently was doing several things wrong that any one could have resulted in catastrophic ends

I had a mixed flock for a few years several years ago
However I was extremely lucky back then since I apparently was doing several things wrong that any one could have resulted in catastrophic ends
What were you doing wrong? (I ordered all females. I am aware drakes shouldn't be with female chickens)

Who has a mixed flock? Ducks and chickens. I have had chickens for over 3yrs but have ducks coming in June. Now I am reading it is bad to have a mixed flock do to disease. Do need to be concerned? Who is more at risk?, ducks or chickens? Which diseases ?
I wouldn't be overly concerned with disease unless the pen and coop are an absolute mess from the ducks. I'd be more concerned with drakes trying to wife your chicken hens, or duck hens bullying the chickens. I have a muscovy hen that tortures any new bird until she's been drug around the yard a few times hanging onto their tail.

Drakes running with chickens and ducks, feeding straight layer and scratch to everyone, not providing a constant pool for breeding and swimming, bringing in birds without a proper quarantine
I am ordering from well known hatceries, so don't need to quarantine. But what do you suggest about feed? I know ducklings need niacin for the first several weeks. What about beyond that?

If you practice good husbandry, offer quality feed, proper housing with adequate space and only source you new additions from either hatcheries or reputable breeders who actively test their flocks then you will be fine. My chickens and ducks are housed in the same barn with the ducks separated at night due the ducks liking their own space. During the day they are all out and about together. Zero health issues besides the occasional bumble foot. I feed both Chickens and Ducks Kalmbach's Flock Maker which has more niacin than several popular duck specific feeds such as Manna Pro duck feeds and Purina Duck Pellets. Oyster shells are offered for both free choice on the side. Ducks also need waterers deep enough to dunk their entire head and water to swim in so they can preen.

Back
Top Bottom