Mixing breeds into the flock

GetTheFlockOut

Hatching
Apr 4, 2023
Are there any breeds to NOT mix together into the flock. We are just starting out and will pick chicks soon. We think we want a variety of hens, but are some potentially more aggressive towards others?

Are there any breeds to NOT mix together into the flock. We are just starting out and will pick chicks soon. We think we want a variety of hens, but are some potentially more aggressive towards others?
There are some more assertive & some more docile in general. Rhode Island Reds tend to be more assertive. There are a ton of docile breeds.

Do you know what breeds you will be choosing from?

There are some more assertive & some more docile in general. Rhode Island Reds tend to be more assertive. There are a ton of docile breeds.

Do you know what breeds you will be choosing

IMG_0017.jpeg
we are shooting for the next shipment, 4/14

Since there are no bossy breeds in that group, I would get a variety! Faverolles tend to be timid, so if you get 2 of a breed I would make sure to get two of those. Although I have a Faverolle and she is besties with my Sussex who is also super docile and sweet!

If you end up getting them the next week, all should be fine mixed except the RIRs, who might be fine but may end up being jerks to the others.

Since there are no bossy breeds in that group, I would get a variety! Faverolles tend to be timid, so if you get 2 of a breed I would make sure to get two of those. Although I have a Faverolle and she is besties with my Sussex who is also super docile and sweet!

If you end up getting them the next week, all should be fine mixed except the RIRs, who might be fine but may end up being jerks to the

If you end up getting them the next week, all should be fine mixed except the RIRs, who might be fine but may end up being jerks to the others.
We don’t want jerks! Lol
Thank you for your help!

There is enough anecdotal evidence to suggest that breed indentifies with breed. There are also some studies that suggest that related birds show behavioural preferences to their relatives.
None of this should come as a surprise.
There is a great deal of truth in the saying birds of a feather flock together.

As Mrs. K points out size can have a major influence.

None of the above means that one cannot keep a variety of breeds in one flock but one is likely to find that if one has more than one of a particular breed they will team up.

Back
Top Bottom