Mixing breeds?

OhMyItsAndyy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 22, 2009
West England
Since i have alonell hen at the moment, i am searching desperatly for 2 more pekin's for her company, however, i was wondering if anyone had ever had these and mixed them with Rhode island reds. I've had them before, and they were lovely and the same size ( I only have bantams) and they both have a reputation for beng friendly, so i was just checking, it wouldn't make a problem would it? I mean, i know there is at first the "Sorting of peking order" so to speak, but once they're settled, they should be fine, right?
They should hopefully all be around the same age
any advice is great, thanks x

First, if you haven't seen it, I suggest you look at Buff's article.

Buff Hooligan’s Adding to your flock
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

I don't have bantams, but many people report mixing bantams and large fowl with no problems. Occasionally there are some, but I think that is just the difference in individual chicken personalities and not really related to size. You can have the problems they describe with any chickens.

I am not familiar with Pekins. Seems like they may or may not also be known as Cochins here in the States. Most breeds will mix with very little problem. In small numbers especially, it depends a lot on the individuals personality. I would not be afraid to try to mix any breed of females, bantam or otherwise.

Last edited:
Go for it! They should be fine if both breeds are bantams.

Unrelated info- Crested breeds like to be by themselves, no other breeds: it's simpler for everybody with a poofy head to be in one coop so you can customize things a bit for them- fluffy heads need a bit more feeder and waterer space.

It'll be fine! I have a mix of bantams, standard size chickens, ducks, and guinea fowl and even that diverse of a group does just fine. I've kept bantams and standard-sized birds together for ten or eleven years and I have yet to have an issue.
big_smile.png

Thankyou all for your respnse!
I was fairly confident but I just had to double check for my dad's confidence bless him

And yes, Pekin's are also called Cochins, depending the place.

Back
Top Bottom