MJ's little flock

I've been planning a big, covered chicken run. One day it will house a new open coop with roosts. For now, it will prevent wildbirds from eating chicken food and perhaps discourage the local hawks from attacking.

The tradies are going to build it for me early November.

It's a big U shape. That way I can easily partition into different sections if needs be.

The jacaranda is within the U, so there will be some natural shade and cover as it grows. The old tables and little coop will also give shade and cover. The little coop and old laundry basket will provide two large nests. In time it will be paved 1m deep all around so digging pests and predators can't get in.

Here's a very rough sketch, not to scale.

View attachment 2378175
Looks like a very good setup. I'm glad you are getting to this project. I love having a U shaped complex. In fact my flock is free ranging in the U or courtyard as we call it, right now.

20201019_150044.jpg

I don't earn a fortune compared to others with my expertise, so big expenses always sit on the waitlist for a loooong time. This chicken run project almost has cobwebs haha :gig

Actually it's a blessing in disguise because I get such a lot of time to tweak my plans. It was only yesterday I thought of the U shape and already I know it's going to be such a valuable feature as the years pass and the flock goes through its changes.
It really will. I segment mine at least once a year for one reason or another. I love that I built that flexibility into the design.

Looks like a very good setup. I'm glad you are getting to this project. I love having a U shaped complex. In fact my flock is free ranging in the U or courtyard as we call it, right now.

View attachment 2379123
You've probably explained it before, if so I'm sorry for asking you to repeat yourself, but what is the floorplan of the chicken complex at your house?

If we go from your coop: theres the bit under the coop, and the bit that extends back behind the coop on the ramp side, so the other side of the U must be at the other end of the coop? Have I got that right? Why did you choose a U instead of a square or rectangle?

It really will. I segment mine at least once a year for one reason or another. I love that I built that flexibility into the design.
In worst case scenarios, there can be 5 different sections. I doubt so many will ever be needed but I can imagine growing weeds in one section at a time for the chooks to graze on, and I can imagine using sections when integrating newcomers.

No matter, its such a cute picture 😍

I've never seen one like that 🤔 , I just have a regular cane.

I so love to go walking, it helps to clear my mind 🤷 B on always calls my walking "a mall walk " because I walk fast, or used too anyway.
I'm a slow walker and getting slower with time! I take two beach walks a week with a friend who was stressed out by sports as a child and then bullied for it within her family (some people... Sheesh!) anyway she finds my easy pace very reassuring and she likes that I don't chase personal bests. Actually, I chase PBs a lot in my work but not on a beach walk. Why spoil such a delightful moment with dissatisfaction?

You've probably explained it before, if so I'm sorry for asking you to repeat yourself, but what is the floorplan of the chicken complex at your house?

If we go from your coop: theres the bit under the coop, and the bit that extends back behind the coop on the ramp side, so the other side of the U must be at the other end of the coop? Have I got that right? Why did you choose a U instead of a square or rectangle?
I would love to see the floor plan too - somehow with all the pictures I had not realized it was a U-shape.

Back
Top Bottom