MJ's little flock

That horse book is in very good nick MJ. Lovely plate too.

I've noticed that some books from the first half of the 20th Century don't appear to have publishing dates on them.

I have my Mum's copy of "Crowning the King" that she got when she was around seven years old. She was very fond of it but it had been pretty badly water damaged at some stage. I had it repaired and rebound for her. They did a lovely job of it but couldn't get the stains off the back pages where mold had grown. :(

View attachment 2502095View attachment 2502096View attachment 2502097

You can see some of the water damage in the last photo. The Queen Mother was a handsome woman wasn't she?
How wonderful that you can hold the book your mother held as a child.

Poor darling looks so bedraggled, but she is rocking the punk hairdo! ❤ 🤣
She looked so unlike herself, with no tail, sparse back feathers and a spiky hair do! But i think maybe she could see better, she was so confident and sassy!

Yes, quite amazing really!
I have a similar vintage Student's English Dictionary' and a 1905 Holy Bible, the latter given I think to my grandmother's sister (at least that is my guess from the inscription).
Ok, you've given me a new perspective on writing my name into books. It might be interesting to someone else long after I'm gone.

It is in English. But I am revising my opinion it was my grandfather’s as it has a name handwritten inside which I don’t recognize. Hmmm. A mystery.
This gem was given to my Dad for Christmas in 1924 by his Aunt. He would have been too young to read it for himself so maybe she read it to him? I only very vaguely remember her but a decade or two ago I learned some things about her that made me respect her enormously so I am very glad I have this book.
View attachment 2502125
If it's not too pushy of me, what were the things that changed your view of her? Please ignore if you'd rather not say.

When did you start opening the house up? I love your new house chickens!
The back porch is enclosed and I always leave the door between the porch and the outside open for Blossom to come and go. Since I pulled down the chicken's fence to make way for the funrun I've encouraged the hens to make use of the back porch by putting food and water in there. To keep them a little safer and away from the front yard where a passing dog might see them. One hot days I open the door between the house and the porch so the cool breeze from thr aircon can reach the hens.

They make a mess but it's easily cleaned up.

Back
Top Bottom