MJ's little flock

Honestly MJ, without me being there with an identification guide, I really have no chance of identifying the species. 🤣

Google tells me that there are over 700 species of Eucalyptus.
I was just happy with your ID of it being a Eucalyptus. 😁

When I was trying to identify the Blues Gums I planted as unnamed seedlings, the book I used started with the type of bark and went through all the characteristics of the tree finally getting to the structure of the flower for some species. Nomenclature can be very interesting but you need to be a bit of a detective! I still have trouble with the difference between a bottle brush (Callistemon) and a Melaleuca. (It's in the way the stamens are arranged. You need to look at them with a handy dandy pocket magnifier)

Sorry for the lecture.... I love Aussie natives. :oops:😍

Chicken tax.
Baby Alice
View attachment 2772942
An education on trees and baby Alice in one post? It doesn't get much better than that! :love

Honestly MJ, without me being there with an identification guide, I really have no chance of identifying the species. 🤣

When I was trying to identify the Blues Gums I planted as unnamed seedlings, the book I used started with the type of bark and went through all the characteristics of the tree finally getting to the structure of the flower for some species. Nomenclature can be very interesting but you need to be a bit of a detective! I still have trouble with the difference between a bottle brush (Callistemon) and a Melaleuca. (It's in the way the stamens are arranged. You need to look at them with a handy dandy pocket magnifier)

Chicken tax.
Baby Alice
View attachment 2772942
Ok, educate me. All our Melaleuca are paperbarks so really easy to tell from a callistemon. Are there Melaleucas that aren't paperbarks? 🤔

Chicken tax.
Baby Alice
View attachment 2772942
Awww she's so cute she broke the cute-o-meter!

Back
Top Bottom