MJ's little flock

Rizo 100%. Mellow as ever to handle.
Em, no. I held her by her wings (holding them down and lifting her up) to take a picture, and oh boy. She hated that. Screamed her lungs off at me and will not come near me. Emily holds grudges, i know that for a fact. She still is mad at Vanilla because he stepped on her foot a few months back. Screams every time he comes in the same area as her.

Emily is pure, and i really want to show her. But she won’t let me do ANYTHING without freaking out, screaming, and ignoring me for days! Showmanship requires holding them in odd positions, lifting them up, etc. She will not have that!
Most of my hens will stand on my hands and allow me to lift them - only Mary finds it difficult but she's a really big hen. But they hate being grabbed from above, which makes sense because that's how an airborne predator would grab them, so I'm ok with that.

Most of my hens will stand on my hands and allow me to lift them - only Mary finds it difficult but she's a really big hen. But they hate being grabbed from above, which makes sense because that's how an airborne predator would grab them, so I'm ok with that.
I don’t pick them from above, i just tightly hold down their wings and lift them upwards when needed. The only time i do that is when i need to see the feet for bumble foot or something.

I don’t pick them from above, i just tightly hold down their wings and lift them upwards when needed. The only time i do that is when i need to see the feet for bumble foot or something.
Yeh that's what I had in mind when I said grabbed from above, but it still has to be done sometimes. Like what you're doing with bumblefoot or if the hens need to go in their travel boxes for some reason or lifting a broody off a nest.

Yeh that's what I had in mind when I said grabbed from above, but it still has to be done sometimes. Like what you're doing with bumblefoot or if the hens need to go in their travel boxes for some reason or lifting a broody off a nest.
Yeah! My broodies are always so floppy when i take them off, you know? Like they just make no efforts to move.

My chronic broodies are tiny enough for me to slide a hand under them & lift them that way. Far less traumatizing.

That sounds like a great idea. Would love to see a picture when you have a minute
Here is Tegan’s roost. It’s a bit dodgy compared with the quality of the build but it should be sturdy enough. She’s not getting up there herself at bedtime, I have to lift her up. But she’s sleeping there.

837CD7B4-0EC6-4548-BEE3-08E099B22A43.jpeg

6EF3CFDA-AB7A-4431-8184-D9B2730090C7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom