Molasses looking diarrhea, no other symptoms

Hannahnic14

Crowing
Apr 29, 2021
Middle Tennessee
So a few of my 7 week old chick's have diarrhea that looks like molasses?:hmmIt's only a couple chicks and it hasn't spread to everyone else or gotten worse. (We have 34 chics) Everyone is eating and drinking great, not lethargic at all. Honestly they've had it since they were chicks and I thought it was stress from shipping but it never went away. They have been outside free ranging the past 2 weeks. I don't see any worms or anything, its just brown liquid. Everyone's vent looks normal, not irritated or anything. It's 70/80 degrees here right now. Is this something I should be concerned about? (I can get pics if needed)

One of my chicks in the brooder has it as well. (4 weeks old) Same story, different verse. Lol. No lethargy, eating and drinking great. All the old bedding was taken out and clean bedding put in before the new chick's went in the brooder. No visible worms. Has some solid pieces of feces.

Attachments

• 20210518_080859.jpg
    20210518_080859.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 2
That is a normal cecal dropping. The ceca are located between the smal and large intestines, and they help ferment the intestinal contents. Cecal poops are shiny, like syrup, smell very string, and vary in color. They have these a couple of times a day, and they are normal.

Not only normal, buy healthy. It's what comes out when no more solid food is available to pass. Usually at night after they processed all the food from their crop it will be the last couple of droppings to come out.

Back
Top Bottom