Molting and egglaying and Integration?

want2know

Songster
5 Years
Dec 25, 2018
Hill Country Texas
I have a Barred Rock that is about a year and a half old. She has always been a pretty consistent layer until the last 2 -3 weeks. After reading many different posts here, I am not sure if I should be concerned or let it run its course. 3 weeks ago we began really working on integrating her and her flock friend into our new flock of 4 pullets and one cockerel. Simultaneously, the temperatures began to hit consistently 95- 100 every day. About a week ago she has also started to molt.
I knew the disruption of integration was bothering them and set off both of them not laying(they did not return to the coop to bed down at night like they usually did after foraging.) So for a few days I backed off of integration curtailed their freedom and kept them each to their own run and coop area. I noticed they were most disturbed by the new underlings going into their doghouse coop and nesting area when we began the integration.
After a few days of segregation the Australorp started laying again but my barred rock has only laid one or two eggs in the last 3 weeks!

Is it the heat, the molt, or the disruption, and should I be concerned or just let it run its course?

BTW, as far as integration, most of the time I open up both runs only when I am down there with them all. They all seem to getting more tolerant of each other, the hens run after the pullets sometimes but just enough make them run, there has never been an attack.
I really want this integration to be successful. We re-homed 3 of our first flock to get a new flock of breeds that were more likely to get along because one of our first flock had made it her mission in life to try and kill the Australorp and the other two followed along for the fun of it.

About a week ago she has also started to molt.
Most molting birds do not lay eggs at the same time as they use all of their energy and nutrients to grow in new feathers.

So if you're SURE she's molting and not being picked by other birds or caught a case of poultry mites or lice, that would likely explain the drop in production. Most birds who molt will return to lay after daylight starts to increase again. Some sooner depending on nutrition, genetics, and personal condition type stuff.

Since they don't need extra calcium during molt and feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids.. in addition to Rocks being dual purpose birds and not light bodied layer type... I prefer to use Purina flock raiser 20% protein with oyster shell on the side free choice for active layers. I actually never use "layer" feed... and this has decreased the intensity and duration of time spent molting since making the switch.

Best wishes finishing up your integration! Lots of visual blocks and things to run around without getting cornered help a lot. :fl

Most molting birds do not lay eggs at the same time as they use all of their energy and nutrients to grow in new feathers.

So if you're SURE she's molting and not being picked by other birds or caught a case of poultry mites or lice, that would likely explain the drop in production. Most birds who molt will return to lay after daylight starts to increase again. Some sooner depending on nutrition, genetics, and personal condition type stuff.

Since they don't need extra calcium during molt and feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids.. in addition to Rocks being dual purpose birds and not light bodied layer type... I prefer to use Purina flock raiser 20% protein with oyster shell on the side free choice for active layers. I actually never use "layer" feed... and this has decreased the intensity and duration of time spent molting since making the switch.

Best wishes finishing up your integration! Lots of visual blocks and things to run around without getting cornered help a lot. :fl

Thanks EggSighted for Life! Happily, all my birds are on Purina Flock Raiser, and oyster shell. I know for sure that sh is not being picked on, She and her flock mate, an Australorp, that she was raised with get along, the Barred rock is the more dominant of the two of them. And my pullets and roo are still too young to even approach them. I am fairly certain that she is molting, but I do you detect a mite or lice problem?

I am fairly certain that she is molting, but I do you detect a mite or lice problem?
Checking after dark with a flashlight will give you the best true picture. Part feathers below the vent and on abdomen down to the skin and look for crawly things running away. Also notice if the the skin is angry and red or just flesh colored. Or if you see any clumps of "dirt" hanging onto the feather shafts near the body.

With molting there is usually a sign of pin feathers coming in, in addition to the feather loss. It's good to trust your own judgement, but always feel free to post a pic if you are unsure or just want confirmation. :)

I have a Barred Rock that is about a year and a half old. She has always been a pretty consistent layer until the last 2 -3 weeks. After reading many different posts here, I am not sure if I should be concerned or let it run its course. 3 weeks ago we began really working on integrating her and her flock friend into our new flock of 4 pullets and one cockerel. Simultaneously, the temperatures began to hit consistently 95- 100 every day. About a week ago she has also started to molt.
I knew the disruption of integration was bothering them and set off both of them not laying(they did not return to the coop to bed down at night like they usually did after foraging.) So for a few days I backed off of integration curtailed their freedom and kept them each to their own run and coop area. I noticed they were most disturbed by the new underlings going into their doghouse coop and nesting area when we began the integration.
After a few days of segregation the Australorp started laying again but my barred rock has only laid one or two eggs in the last 3 weeks!

Is it the heat, the molt, or the disruption, and should I be concerned or just let it run its course?

BTW, as far as integration, most of the time I open up both runs only when I am down there with them all. They all seem to getting more tolerant of each other, the hens run after the pullets sometimes but just enough make them run, there has never been an attack.
I really want this integration to be successful. We re-homed 3 of our first flock to get a new flock of breeds that were more likely to get along because one of our first flock had made it her mission in life to try and kill the Australorp and the other two followed along for the fun of it.
Same type of thing happened to me. I gave my broody hen two day old chicks and shortly after that my chickens started laying half the eggs they normally do. I think they were afraid of the baby chicks. That lasted for a couple of weeks and now they seem like they are returning back to normal because I got 6 eggs today out of my 8.

Back
Top Bottom