Molting - feather fixer vs. chick starter vs. meatbird???

MonicainAZ

Chirping
May 21, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I have 5 hens, the two older ones are molting but the younger 3 are still laying. They free range also in my backyard, although they mostly eat their feed. I know that the molting girls need some extra protein, but is that really the only important factor? Does it matter very much how much protein they get? At what point is more not better?

I've checked out the options at my local feed store:
Naturewise Feather Fixer - 18% protein
Bar-Ale Chick Starter - 20% protein
Naturewise Meatbird food - 22% protein

Obviously the laying girls will need calcium if it's not in their food - they have free choice oyster shell. But, other than that, is there any real difference among these foods?

I chose the chick starter in this case because I like the brand, it is soy-free, and it is what I raised them on. Does it make any difference?

(Side note, since I switched their feed they are looking a lot better, so maybe I answered my own question LOL)

Having more protein can help with feather growth. I've used all three of what you listed (brands may vary) during molt, I don't think it matters. I would use what you feel has the best ingredients and that which your birds seem to do better on. There are birds that will sometimes have difficulty digesting certain feed ingredients, so it can make a difference. I don't use one particular feed anymore because I had a couple of older birds have issues with it. And with a mixed age flock I don't use layer feed because not all of them need the extra calcium. I feed a flock raiser instead and have oyster shell available for those that need it. During molt I often have more than one feed available to them since not everyone is always in the same stage. Maybe that's more complicated than it needs to be, but works for me.

Good morning! :frow

I think any of those choices should be fine.

The feather fixer USED to have sulfur in it to combat mites. But I don't think it's in their formula any more. I believe it does have a little extra Lysine or Methionine, which are amino acids.

I'm not surprised that your birds are looking a little better, as 16% protein in layer is the bare minimum to sustain LIGHT bodies layers like leghorns. But heavier (dual purpose) breeds like Rocks do benefit from more protein. As well (since I breed), I have read studies showing better hatch rates and chick vitality with more protein than layer. Which to me says more nutritious eggs, otherwise why the difference? Note feathers are made of 90% protein or the amino acids that make it up.

I also feed a flock raiser (20% protein) with OS on the side since my flock includes molting hens, roosters, chicks, and juveniles most of the time. If cost isn't too high for you, I would consider keeping them on the feed you like AND say makes them look better. Anything above 30% can be detrimental to chickens. Both too much calcium (long term) or protein can cause different types of gout and possibly kidney failure, though it is most likely to occur in those who are predisposed genetically. Those labels like layer, starter, grower, or finisher.. are completely irrelevant to me (as well as confusing to so many). What matters is nutrients and ingredients. So I read nutrition labels instead of fancy marketing on the bag. :old

I will also say that LOTS of people here DO feed layer for their birds whole life and SEEM to be fine. That's their choice, it just isn't for me. :)

I too feed Flock Raiser to everyone, with separate oyster shell. It has worked very well for me here.
When I looked at the Feather Fixer label it seemed to me to not be an improvement over Flock Raiser, and to be more expensive.
Local availability of feeds with recent mill dates is very important, and should be a major factor in deciding what you buy. There are a lot of choices, some national brands, and some local, so it's necessary to shop and compare! Mary

I agree, any of those with oyster shell on the side will work fine. When chickens molt they quit laying and use the nutrition that was going into egg production to grow feathers instead.

How fast that process progresses depends a lot more on how fast the feathers fall out than how fast they grow back. “Fast” or “Slow” molting, how fast the feathers fallout, is genetic. What they eat will affect the feathers regrowth but that’s not what controls the basic speed of finishing the molt.

A common trick of people that breed for show is to drizzle some mineral or vegetable oil on the chicken feed. Not a lot but a little, it doesn’t take much. Another trick for nice shiny feathers is to feed some BOSS (Black OIL Sunflower Seeds). BOSS is high in oil content as the name implies. BOSS is also high in protein which helps but it’s the oil that really makes the feathers pretty.

I did a quick look at some analysis of a few different chicken feeds. That feather fixer is 4% fat. Most other feeds have around 2.5% to 3% fat. So even with a lower protein content the feathers might look a little prettier.

I just checked the bag of feather fixer, it does contain sulfur. It's not listed in the analysis part of the label, just in the ingredients list. It's far down on the label so not sure it would even be enough to do anything as far as mite suppression, but it's in there. Honestly I had missed that, good to know, maybe one reason it smells stronger than other feeds.
I only use it in small amounts, I mix it 50/50 with sunflower seeds as a treat, rather than scratch. It's different than their usual, so they think it's a treat anyway, without giving them carb loaded 'junk food'. But feather fixer is 18% and the flock raiser is 20%, so if the object is to get the protein up, then the flock raiser is a little higher.

I just checked the bag of feather fixer, it does contain sulfur. It's not listed in the analysis part of the label, just in the ingredients list. It's far down on the label so not sure it would even be enough to do anything as far as mite suppression, but it's in there. Honestly I had missed that, good to know, maybe one reason it smells stronger than other feeds.
I only use it in small amounts, I mix it 50/50 with sunflower seeds as a treat, rather than scratch. It's different than their usual, so they think it's a treat anyway, without giving them carb loaded 'junk food'. But feather fixer is 18% and the flock raiser is 20%, so if the object is to get the protein up, then the flock raiser is a little higher.
True if it was JUST protein being higher that you are going after. But it's actually the amino acids, which do go up with protein content... BUT it may be the level of Lysine and Methionine (which are/can be additives). And animal based products are where some of the important amino acids come from that cannot be gotten in plant form.

I agree the sulfur is probably not enough to combat mites or they would likely still tout is as part of their advertising. I personally hate the smell of it. WE had to resort to sulfur dips for one of my adopted pups that wasn't able to fight off mites regardless of medications used when we first got her. Nothing like an egg fart smelling pup resting on your chest. :sick I guess if they were molting and not laying anyways it probably doesn't make much difference. But I wonder if it effect eggs or meat of other birds that aren't molting? Guess I probably won't try feather fixer. :p But it's still nice to know there are options available and to learn to easily discern their differences.

I also love using another FEED instead of scratch or the like. And yes my birds think it's a GREAT treat. :D

I also like the idea of using feed rather than scratch as treats. I go through the scratch VERY slowly, so vitamins are going to degrade in anything used here as treats anyway, but it's still a good idea. Mary

All 3 of the feeds that you listed are going to be about the same, and all three are vegetarian based feed meaning that they don't contain any animal products (The proteins, fats, etc. are from plaints or there synthetic.) If the chick starter is non-medicated that might be your best feed of the three but I would also supplement with some animal products also.

Back
Top Bottom