Molting or injured.

taunya1979

Chirping
Jun 7, 2016
So my big hen goo was injured by our male duck (we got rid of him a few days ago) she was limping and I think he tried to mate with her and injure her well fast forward to today and she’s missing a bunch of feathers they were there yesterday gone today no blood just looks plucked. So my question is, is this an injury or is she molting I live in florida and haven’t had any of mine molt ever in the last 3/4 years I’ve had them so I’m not sure. Will post pics thank you for any answers in advanced :) love my hens and want to make sure they’re happy and healthy.

Attachments

• 1F410373-56D6-4E6F-9626-B998A3363376.jpeg
    1F410373-56D6-4E6F-9626-B998A3363376.jpeg
    397.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 1189B2F1-811B-43E9-B764-8AF58AA47F2B.jpeg
    1189B2F1-811B-43E9-B764-8AF58AA47F2B.jpeg
    421.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 5C49D1DE-7110-46AB-A81C-91F7338D5ACE.jpeg
    5C49D1DE-7110-46AB-A81C-91F7338D5ACE.jpeg
    639.8 KB · Views: 10
Good morning! :frow

How old were your birds when you got them? They will USUALLY go through molt around their second winter season in life. Though they often molt when their bodies decide and don't get the memo about when they SHOULD.

Looks like she has some pin feathers coming in, so it very well could be molt. Sometimes it is brought on by daylight/weather. But a stressful event could also induce it. I am also in the process of getting rid of my ducks before issues develop. :(

During molt I like to offer a little extra protein (than layer) since feathers are made of 90%, the amino acids and such that the protein contains. I also use a flock raiser and offer my oyster shell on the side since girls who aren't laying don't need the extra calcium. (Though plenty of people never change their feeds and also don't experience the issues I'm looking to avoid by doing so.) So I would expect to be not getting eggs from that gal also since they don't lay eggs while their body is using the energy to generate new feathers.

I bet she's a pretty girl when her feathers aren't all tore up! :love

I see a little copper in one of the pics. Is she a Marans? Looks like a little white/grey on her, indicating she probably is old enough to molt. And also her comb looks kind of pale, which is an indicator they aren't in lay... and therefor are;might be molting.

She looks confident and comfortable/energetic, so I wouldn't think injury. :confused:

Last edited:
Hi! she is a couple years old used to lay but was broody before the duck incident :( not sure what she is exactly she lays brown eggs and was labeled a mutt her sister is the gray one with the brown head. I’ve never had one molt before lol I’m in florida and weather doesn’t get crazy here really other than the hurricane. Yea I lost two hens before I knew it was the duck he was going to be dinner but I decided to let a friend have him and his mate both. I only found out it was the duck from seeing him try to mount her :(

This was her like 3 days ago. No feathers missing at all.

Attachments

• 87D3B3C4-2668-4211-B56B-FE24C92E00FB.jpeg
    87D3B3C4-2668-4211-B56B-FE24C92E00FB.jpeg
    732.9 KB · Views: 10
The small one is an Easter egger I do know that much but the bigger two are something mixed with Cochin (spelling?)

They are pretty girls. :love

Molt can/does come on all of the sudden. It looks like a pillow exploded 1 day. And very often my girls will have a mini molt shortly after brooding. Sounds like it's a very good possibility that is what's happening to her. And would be my biggest suspicion. So I wouldn't worry to much as long as she seems basically normal in behavior, still eating and such. Always good to keep an eye open for any other indications of trouble though.

Glad you discovered the issue and resolved it. :smack

Ah, Cochin is where the feathered legs come from. Nice birds usually. Mix breeds are great. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom