Molting?

girlchicks

Hatching
Mar 20, 2015
Trying to upload a picture with the app from from galaxy s5 but it won't let me. My hen appears to be loosing feathers right at the top of her head. The skin is not red or irritated, I have no rooster. She has been having a limp for 3 weeks now but it is getting better but slowly. Could it also be that she is getting picked on due to her limp? She is eating and everything fine and laying. I will try to upload a picture from my desktop.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Are you seeing any pin feathers coming in? The neck is a common place for molting to start, though usually not the top of the head. She could be getting feather plucked by the other birds, the head/neck is a popular place for neighboring chickens to pluck if they are doing it while roosting. Double check for mites/lice also.

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC!
woot.gif

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

My first guess would be that the other birds are pecking her. Because of her limp, she may not be able to get away from the others as easily as before. Also, chickens tend to pick on weaker birds. Have you seen other hens pecking her?

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

Like Wyandottes7, I'm leaning towards picking. However, molting is still a possibility.

my chickens molt there all the time. It will grow back, eventually... I know mine took couple months, then another hen only took like 2 weeks.. It's different for each chicken!

Thanks everyone. I have not seen the other girls pecking at her but I would guess it's possible at night while in the coop. Some of the others apear to be loosing some feather also but this is more like fluffy feathers falling out.

Back
Top Bottom