abbya12

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2019
Hi all,
My town has recently tested positive for triple E, a mosquito - born virus that can easily kill people. To combat it, they’ve decided to aerial spray our town and many towns around us. We know when they’re doing it, but we want to make sure out Quail are safe when we do so. What would you recommend? Anyone have experience with this? We’re thinking of keeping them all in their coop (solid, insulated wood with a few ventilation holes) and putting it in the garage, but then the rest of their run will be contaminated. Any help ASAP would be greatly appreciated.

Well, that is a little scary. Do you know what they will be spraying? I understand why they are doing it, but how will it affect any critter, bird or human? I sure would want to know what they are spraying.

That being said, folks on here use permethrin directly on their chickens.

Well, that is a little scary. Do you know what they will be spraying? I understand why they are doing it, but how will it affect any critter, bird or human? I sure would want to know what they are spraying.

That being said, folks on here use permethrin directly on their chickens.
Not sure what they’re spraying. I’m worried about all the animals as well, but officials are saying they shouldn’t be harmed. Going to bring the Quail in just in case. Very scary times over here, lots of paranoia going on.

Not sure what they’re spraying. I’m worried about all the animals as well, but officials are saying they shouldn’t be harmed. Going to bring the Quail in just in case. Very scary times over here, lots of paranoia going on.
I agree with bringing them in. I'm just thinking about the residual spray in your chicken run. I sprayed one of my coops with Pyrethrin, the organic version of Permethrin, and my chickens wouldn't go in for a few days to that coop. Luckily that had two others. Since I never actually found any mites in any of my coops before or after spraying that one, I decided not to spray the others. I would be concerned about the residual spray, depending on what it is. I think they should have to disclose it.

they have sprayed here for them almost nightly when it's peak mosquito season, they usually do it in the evening after my chickens are safe in the coop but occasionally have sprayed while they were out, this flock is 2 1/2 years old now and has been fine with them doing it, but you never know what they are spraying either, they are on the road spraying not on my property though

Hi, I'm also currently in the area they are spraying, so I did a bit of research. They are spraying Anvil 10-10, which is mostly sumithrin as an active ingredient. Sumithrin is non-toxic to both mammals and birds according to the National Pesticide Information Center (http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/dphengen.html) (listed under its generic name in that link). I would still take the birdies in as a precaution but they should be just fine afterwards!

Back
Top Bottom