1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Most broody Chicken/Bantam breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JoeyOsborne, Mar 21, 2013.

1. JoeyOsborne

JoeyOsborne Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    Cornwall, England, U.K
    I was wondering on what peoples suggestions were on the most broody breeds, there a few answers over this site but i wanted to sum up which go broody most often, which are the best mothers and so on! also which months there most likely to go broody and if there are any ways to hint the hen to go broody not force her just make conditions better so the hatching can be done more naturally than through incubators which are everlastingly breeding out the broody genes![​IMG]

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Silkes or Cochins will probably be your best bet. They generally go broody during spring/ early summer. I haven't done a ton with broody chickens but I would think that if you want them to hatch eggs to just leave her eggs in the box and that would help her to go broody. Birds in the wild keep laying until they get enough and then they set. Just remember that not every bird/breed will go broody.

3. JoeyOsborne

JoeyOsborne Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    Cornwall, England, U.K
    alright thank you, i already have silkies for that purpose just hoping there going to go broody, ill also do some research on the cochins and see if i like them[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by