Most disgusting coop ever!

newchik715

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
Washington
I just went to see a woman's chickens...not from here....a friend of hubby's...and her chicken poo was built up so high it as tall as my toddler and in the run it was a foot deep and covered the whole run! Really- how hard is it to keep the coop clean? I mean really?

I just cleaned mine today. It's not hard to do if don'e often enough. When winter hits it won't get cleaned again until spring but thats the longest mine go with a dirty coop.

I put a whole bale of straw in for winter and go in every now and again to turn and remove badly soiled straw.

Those poor babies having to live int hat filth. Did you say something to her about how unhealthy it is for the birds?

Did you take your clothes off and wash them? I would scrub my vehicle tires, myself and my clothes...you could bring something back to your birds.

Isn't that bad for the chickens breathing it in all the time? That's too bad. I've been cleaning out my chicken's coop every other day. They are in it only at night and it's easy to clean up the little piles they leave while they roost.

hit.gif
poor birds.

We visited all the feed stores in our area looking for supplies, and came across a feed store that kept its animals like that. Needless to say, we turned right around and walked out (and disinfected our shoes before we came back into our yard).

That is really bad, i went to a farm once to look for some ducks, they were keeping kittens in rabbit hutches, and the ducks were kept in little rabbit runs, mud as a floor and a plastic box turned on its side for minimum shelter, some people just dont care about animals unfortunatly
sad.png

Ummmmm! Chicken poo! My compost pile is hongry for it! I would even come and get it if it was my neighbor!
big_smile.png

As for how hard it may be to keep clean, sometimes that depends on a lot of factors: age, depression, how she came by them, what she does in her everday life, and on and on. Not mine to judge, I've seen too much.

i don't have any birds yet i was looking at her to get coop ideas and to meet some chickens. she had 6 or 7 RIR and one was a real nice roo from what i know of chickens....anyway, no, i did not say anything to her....my hubby's friends' wife....not a bridge i want to burn. From the moment we arrived to see them she was telling us how awful they are....she said the were dirty and nasty and the eggs were dirty and the birds were mean. i went to another farm a couple of days ago and everything was real nice and clean and the birds were so nice once you caught them...didn't fight but they sure did like to bait you and then run at the last second. anyway i feel like i have seen the best and the worst of chicken farming and let me tell you i would like to fall closer to the best when i do get birds of my own!

Yuck. I'm not the best at keeping chicken coops clean but I try to clean them pretty well about once a month. I can't imagine what I foot of poop looks like...or smells like! Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom