motherless silkie egg what do i do? urgent

ninny

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
IL side of the QCA
I was holding my silkie hen and walking to the house to bath her. They (hen and roo) have mites. When she laid the long awaited egg!!! It drop right on the ground!! So i picked it up and run back to the barn and put the egg in the nest. She tried to eat it!!!I have never had this problem before and i dont have a incubater. Should i take out the roo and try again Or want untill hubby gets home (3hrs!) And try and catch a phoinex hen and see if she will sit on it? What if she has more eggs? what do i do with the egg till then. Its in a towel right now.

i really dont want to lose these eggs. ive been waiting forever for them to breed. This is really new to me. My other silkies i had were the prefect parents. my other question is the nats crazy here and drawing blood on my birds how can i get rid of them or help my birds.

If it fell on the ground... it might be no good
sad.png
Maybe she senses this and is why she tried to eat it. I don;t know what other advice I can offer... hopefully others will put in their two cents.

Is she broody? If she isn't wanting to sit on the nest then it doesn't matter what you do with the egg.

You don't have to take the roo out. But, if she is broody, you should either fence her off from the others or try to move her to a place where she is on her own-usually done at night from what I gather.

After 7 days fertility really starts to drop. If you are really wanting to hatch eggs and don't have a broody you are more than likely going to have to get/make a bator.

Until then you put it in a carton-big end up. Put something under one end of the carton and tip the carton back and forth by moving that item once or twice a day.

Good luck!

she laid another one only this one was in the cage and she has 2 nest boxes. but noshe had to lay it on the wire. ugh now i understand why this pair got sold.

Back
Top Bottom