Mottled Silkie with Blue/Green eggs Project.

I'm breeding in the Aracauna now because I want to save time later. if I do it now, than I will only have to do the selective breeding process years once. Instead of breeding them to almost perfect than crossing in the araucana and having to start the whole selective breeding process a second time.

Last edited:
I'm breeding in the Aracauna now because I want to save time later. if I do it now, than I will only have to do the selective breeding process years once. Instead of breeding them to almost perfect than crossing in the araucana and having to start the whole selective breeding process a second time.
Looking forward to it! You are definitely dedicated!!

If you, or anyone else, is interested in following my own Mottled Silkie project (without blue eggs), the link is below! Tons of photos and potential F1 chicks are hatching now.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ially-in-motion-photos.1406149/#post-23086058

Update
One of my f2 roosters is finally breeding age and I've put him in with my mottled pekin hen and will soon start doing some test batches, to see if he carries the mottling gene.
The second batch that I hatched out from the f1 rooster is now over 10 weeks old and I have 6 girls and 6 boys. Soon as the girls start laying I will start testing the different roosters in with them to test for the mottling gene.
The aracauna that I bought a few months ago have turned out to be crosses that lay white eggs. I got conned by a lady on face book, that was an expensive lesson I payed full price for them. I managed to find some pure breeds that are laying blue eggs. One is 2 years and one is 6 months and soon to lay. The 2 year old has been laying me some beautiful bright blue eggs over the last few days since I bought them. Cant wait from them to come out of quarantine so I can start breeding with them with my project boys.

The mother for the F2 gen was a black silkie so there is only a 1/4 chance the any of them will have it. I will have to do test mating's to see who has the gene and who does not. I have also been following the other thread about mottled silkies and it looks like its been going great.

Here are the girls

Attachments

• 20201114_083446.jpg
    20201114_083446.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201114_083452.jpg
    20201114_083452.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20201114_083500.jpg
    20201114_083500.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 12

Back