Moving eggs from broody hen to incubator?? *Pics #28*

I have 7 eggs in the incubator. I candled the eggs last on about day 16 or 17...I couldn't see movement, but I was under the impression that when it got that close to hatch time, that you wouldn't see much because they took up most of the space in the egg. I also didn't think I was supposed to even open the incubator at this point, since they are in "lockdown". I was under thee impression that this was a bad idea since the drop in humidity might cause "shrink wrapping".

I think I have a pip!! I see a small little puncture in the side of the egg where a little beak has poked a hole from the inside! It is almost bedtime for me (as if I will be able to sleep)...how long should it take for little bit to make it out of the shell?? At what point should I get worried?? Ack, now I am even MORE nervous! Can they pip out of the bottom?? What happens if they can get out on their own?

OMG! I just heard it peep! I am soooo excited!!!

I have a hard time with controlling my humidity during lock down so I put a wet sponge in the incubator and it brings my humidity up nicely.
Pictureb100.jpg
Pictureb101.jpg

Quote:
Thanks for the tip! This time, surprisingly, I have only had that one small temperature drop. Since I put the wet rags in, I have had steady humidity
smile.png

It has been 9 hours and I only have the one pip. He/she has made some progress but isn't gonna pop out in the next half hour (like I would LOVE it to, lol).

I hope at least one other one pips, so he/she has a buddy
sad.png
Today makes day 21 so I still have hope!!

Not sure if anyone is even reading this anymore, lol, BUT I have one out of the egg, one pipping and MAYBE another starting to pip. Can't quite tell on last one
smile.png

It came out of an EE egg, and has feathers on it's legs, so it would have to be an EE/Light Brahma cross
smile.png
Adorable! I couldn't be more excited! LOL

264562_10150215305245382_575500381_7441599_3697715_n.jpg

261470_10150215305970382_575500381_7441609_7280864_n.jpg

I realize that not everyone likes to move them to the brooder before they are dry, but they just weren't drying with 85% humidity. I popped open the incubator just a crack and grabbed em out and closed the lid quickly. The humidity and temp were back to normal within a few minutes
smile.png
Number Two on the left and Pippers on the right.
261486_10150215306430382_575500381_7441615_4650020_n.jpg

No more pips as far as I can tell, but I will give them a couple more days...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom