crazyroosterlady

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2018
Austraila
So I've been moving around a lot and Baffy my rooster lives at my grandparents in the coop with the other chickens and is angry that I don't live there anymore and he's forced to be an actual chicken (he was hand raised by me and dislikes coops).

He gets very excited when I come visit of course but when I put him back in the pen he pecks me (I actually have a scar on my face now cause he got me good and I lost a chunk of my ear another time) poor (violent angry) baby
1f641.png

So, I'm moving to Brisbane, Queensland, Australia soon and was looking into boarding him on a property near by cause ya know, he crows all day everyday an it's noise pollution
1f641.png
(why must he be a boy).
If anyone reading this lives in the Brisbane area and is willing to take him here I would be INCREDIBLY grateful <3

I did look into possibly getting him caponized (basically desexing for roosters) but apparently chicken testicles are located inside their body (under the backbone between the lower two ribs) and the operation has a 5% death rate and the birds rarely are but under anaesthetic and infection are common that it stops the crowing AND it's banned in the UK because of the cruelty so, yeah, I scrapped that idea unless I can get a trained vet to do it safely and with low risk and anaesthetic. (http://www.humanesociety.org/…/HSUS-Report-on-Caponization.…)

There's also decrowing which works by severing the vocal cords but this also has a high death rate and heaps of complications post surgery and only works some of the time as well not to mention the mental toll a rooster that can't crow is not worth it and it just seems incredibly cruel. (think of it like de-barking a dog) (http://animals.mom.me/how-to-stop-a-rooster-from-crowing-27…)

BUT

While I was looking up chicken sanctuary's tonight, one lady told me about Cock Collars (insert inappropriate joke here)

They basically work by being "worn snug around the rooster’s lower neck without altering their ability to communicate or behave in any other different way except lowering their crow in the morning and throughout the day. rooster collars prevents roosters from pushing out contents they have inhaled all at once, which produces a softer less powerful crow, while still allowing your rooster to function and perform normally" (http://www.cockcollars.com.au/)
So yeah I'm gonna give that a try and if it works i may be able to keep Baffy in the city if I can find a suitable place!!!

If you guys have any suggestions it'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks if you got through this incredibly long and over explained post, I originally posted it on Facebook on Baffy's page (https://www.facebook.com/pg/baffythechicken/posts/?ref=page_internal) so I explained a lot of terms that people not part of a dedicated poultry forum possible wouldn't know :)

I use a rooster collar made out of only double sided velcro and it works very well. I'm not sure how close your neighbors will be. I am on 3/4 of an acre, the coop is about 50 ft from my house and I do not hear him when it is on properly. They also crow less frequently when they figure out that they can't crow loudly. I adjust it every now and then to make sure it's not bothering him but I haven't seen any rash from it being on him.

I use a rooster collar made out of only double sided velcro and it works very well. I'm not sure how close your neighbors will be. I am on 3/4 of an acre, the coop is about 50 ft from my house and I do not hear him when it is on properly. They also crow less frequently when they figure out that they can't crow loudly. I adjust it every now and then to make sure it's not bothering him but I haven't seen any rash from it being on him.
I am also unsure of how close my neighbours will be because I havn't actually found a house yet. I'm staying with my boyfriend while I look (he lives on the 9th floor of a porchless/backyardless apparment complex) so unless I find a place for him to stay I'll have to leave him with my grandparents for a while (they live on around 20 acres so he can crow to his heart content).
But thats great it dosen't seem to bother him!
Baffy already wheres a cat collar so we can here him when he gets in the house (he think he's a person and we often find him sitting on the couch drinking from abandoned cups of coffee) so I'm fairly confident he'll adjust quickly :)

Try looking up one of our members Teila they live within that proximity, they might have some great advice as always to help you :thumbsup
THANKYOU SO MUCH! I'll look them up now!

Edit:
I looked them up and they're from Forrest Beach which is actually 16 hours drive away from where I'm moving too :(

Last edited:
:welcome crazyroosterlady

As we are not allowed to keep roosters, I have not attempted to keep one so I have no personal experience with the no-crow collar but I have a friend who has.

Her first BCM rooster she tried it on was not happy with it initially but got used to it. She was not that happy with the ones she bought and ended up making her own.

I have heard of a few roosters choking to death while wearing the collar. Even with the correct setting, sometimes there is the risk of them eating something a bit bigger than normal and it not being able to move past the collar.

My friend nearly lost her boy when she was tweaking the collar and it was a little too tight; so if you are going to try one, obviously watch very closely. It took her probably two weeks of early morning tweakings to find the right setting.

However, this rooster still had to go into his man cave at night because even with the collar on the best setting she could find, he managed to make enough noise that the neighbours could hear him.

So, he used to sleep in a crate, with his collar on and in a dark corner under the house (she has an under house coop).

Anyways, because she felt this to be cruel, he is now living on a farm and can crow to his heart’s delight.

His son, who she kept, now has a no crow collar but with him it is enough to keep his crows at a less audible level and he does not have to sleep in a man cave and sleeps with his hens on the roost.

With what I have read about the collars (extensive), it works for some and not for others.

This is a good thread regarding the collar, lots of stories and pros and cons:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/906916/no-crow-rooster-collar/140

I know of someone else in Aus who has a number of roosters in a no rooster zone. He built a rooster night box which is sound proofed and remains darker for longer in the morning:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/792990/our-diy-rooster-night-box

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom