Aloha! these are not my ducks, but when I was very young I cared for them on the daily while living on a farm *temporarily*
I took some photos of them that I think you all will enjoy!
pictures of vawesomeness 017.JPG pictures of vawesomeness 043.JPG pictures of vawesomeness 023.JPG

I have had my Muscovys for about 2 years. I love them. I am just now getting into the genetics and breeding side. I'm on the hunt!! LOL

20210416_170548.jpg

Just wanted to pick y'all's brains.

My gal Daisy hatched out 10 eggs last year. 3 survived (I ended up selling them when they were 1/2 grown; kicking myself for that decision now).

In March she was supposed to have hatched out another clutch but, one by one, her eggs disappeared (no clue what happened to them). Found one egg partially hatched with a dead duckling. The last 2 eggs were duds.

Now she's sitting on her 3rd clutch. I wasn't expecting her to hatch anything out until next week or so but today I found a dead duckling outside her nest. No signs of the other eggs hatching.

Shouldn't they all be hatching at the same time? How did ONE manage to hatch while the others are still incubating??

Daisy was a great mom the first go-round but now I'm starting to wonder if she'll ever successfully hatch out babies again. And her man, Darkwing, is getting lonely since he's the only other Muscovy I have (Daisy's sisters died). How many tries do I give her before resorting to buying more ducklings from the hatchery (which is where I got them)?

We're raising them for meat/selling to others so I need her to be able to hatch out ducklings.

Thoughts?

View attachment 2716202

Just wanted to pick y'all's brains.

My gal Daisy hatched out 10 eggs last year. 3 survived (I ended up selling them when they were 1/2 grown; kicking myself for that decision now).

In March she was supposed to have hatched out another clutch but, one by one, her eggs disappeared (no clue what happened to them). Found one egg partially hatched with a dead duckling. The last 2 eggs were duds.

Now she's sitting on her 3rd clutch. I wasn't expecting her to hatch anything out until next week or so but today I found a dead duckling outside her nest. No signs of the other eggs hatching.

Shouldn't they all be hatching at the same time? How did ONE manage to hatch while the others are still incubating??

Daisy was a great mom the first go-round but now I'm starting to wonder if she'll ever successfully hatch out babies again. And her man, Darkwing, is getting lonely since he's the only other Muscovy I have (Daisy's sisters died). How many tries do I give her before resorting to buying more ducklings from the hatchery (which is where I got them)?

We're raising them for meat/selling to others so I need her to be able to hatch out ducklings.

Thoughts?
Is the drake with her when hatch begins? Drakes can be unpredictable about ducklings some ignore others will kill. So always best to keep daddy close but with fencing in between mama and duckings to protect the ducklings.
I have had Muscovy who hatched beautifully and then another who attacked her ducklings killing one and I rescued the other one while she was attacking it. Have no idea why this happens. Couple years ago one of my Muscovy was brooding and carried a duckling out of her nest minus the shell and a week before hatch, Never figured out why she did this, she hatched 2 more ducklings on time and I had to take them both away from her she was acting so strange towards them. Needless to say these ducks never get to hatch again. One is broody now but has no eggs.

Is the drake with her when hatch begins? Drakes can be unpredictable about ducklings some ignore others will kill. So always best to keep daddy close but with fencing in between mama and duckings to protect the ducklings.
I have had Muscovy who hatched beautifully and then another who attacked her ducklings killing one and I rescued the other one while she was attacking it. Have no idea why this happens. Couple years ago one of my Muscovy was brooding and carried a duckling out of her nest minus the shell and a week before hatch, Never figured out why she did this, she hatched 2 more ducklings on time and I had to take them both away from her she was acting so strange towards them. Needless to say these ducks never get to hatch again. One is broody now but has no eggs.
Yeah, the drake goes into the shelter with her at night. Otherwise, he stays out in the yard and watches her from a distance. I also have chickens in the same shelter but they've learned to stay well away from Daisy!

I'm not sure how to keep him away from her and still let her have access to the exit for her brief stretches, etc. I'll have to mull that one over.

I really hope she hasn't taken to killing her own young. :hit

Back
Top Bottom