Sussex123

In the Brooder
Dec 21, 2016
I have been asked to produce around a 1000 muscovy drakes per month for a few people who sell them to fellow customers of theirs. I was wondering what was the best way of letting them hatch there eggs as I have not had good luck with them hatching good amounts the most I have got was 8 out of one clutch. I have always seen people getting mid to high teens. Also I am wanting them to be free ranged I am thinking a breeding group of about 600 muscovies I was wondering if you needed to feed them if they were provided ample space to get bugs, grasses and get things around the dam. If so how much space would you recommend per bird. Also has anybody had any luck incubating them not letting the mum do it. I am use to hatching them myself not letting a mumma duck do it. If anybody can help that would be great.

I have been asked to produce around a 1000 muscovy drakes per month for a few people who sell them to fellow customers of theirs.
:eek:

That's crazy!! Are they for meat?
You're gonna need huge housing to keep then safe.
And a huge incubator to hatch them.
Not sure that only letting them forage and not feeding them a good ration would produce healthily viable eggs.

:eek:

That's crazy!! Are they for meat?
You're gonna need huge housing to keep then safe.
And a huge incubator to hatch them.
Not sure that only letting them forage and not feeding them a good ration would produce healthily viable eggs.

Yes they are for the meat.

I was just wondering the above questions still. If anybody else can help that would be great. Thanks

Free range might not work because my muscovies run and hide in the woods when they go broody
I had to coop them up to be in control
I would get 2 750 egg incubators and so your sure to meet your quota
Not sure about space and breeding that many ducks because I think you would need like 80 breeding pens and I would feed them all flock or layer pellets because there bodies are going to be malnourished if they are broody for example and they get off clutch once a day they won’t find enough bugs to support the cause
I would think it’s hard to get that many girls to lay eggs go broody and hatch out a clutch and have enough males to breed every girl
Sounds like you have a huge exciting project please keep us posted

Wow I just noticed you said drakes lol
I’ve eaten Muscovy before and gender doesn’t matter
Um from my experience like 2 out of 5 are drakes so this is really unrealistic in my opinion and you would have 3500 ducks a month and would need a staff of 50 people to make sure the animals are in humane conditions because you would have about 10 to 15 thousand ducks on hand at all times due to breeding ducks and left over females
Ducks poop 50 times a day
15 acres of breeding pens
13 dollars a months per duck to feed them so at least 130000 bucks for food
Good luck with your project I think it’s possible if you have the equipment and staff and overhead and space and muscovies aren’t great layers you need to supplement calcium big time because ducks get calcium deficiencies
I think it would be a huge investment that could equal a huge loss on your end because they want drakes only

Last edited:
Hi, if we were to do anything near the size why would have to have so many different coops and staff. I was thinking 1 breeding coop about 1/2 acre. I already have brooders good to go as I breed chickens and other breeds of ducks, raising coops for 3 months old that are covered and was thinking 3 new raising coops probably about 1 acre each with a maremma in each to protect them maybe some alpacas with them as well. I was thinking if they can't forage for their food if I would grow mealworms and sunflowers would that help to finish their diets or would they need other foods if so what should i feed them I would rather foods that I can grow. Also no due to their size they would not be interested in the females. I live in Australia and I am going to sell each adult male for about $35-$40 each and they don't want females. I was thinking having another coop maybe go in with the sheep, goats and future cattle and just lay eggs as I have been thinking of being a duck egg farmer as well. Not sure they were fine with getting them end of next year or later so no rush.
Wow I just noticed you said drakes lol
I’ve eaten Muscovy before and gender doesn’t matter
Um from my experience like 2 out of 5 are drakes so this is really unrealistic in my opinion and you would have 3500 ducks a month and would need a staff of 50 people to make sure the animals are in humane conditions because you would have about 10 to 15 thousand ducks on hand at all times due to breeding ducks and left over females
Ducks poop 50 times a day
15 acres of breeding pens
13 dollars a months per duck to feed them so at least 130000 bucks for food
Good luck with your project I think it’s possible if you have the equipment and staff and overhead and space and muscovies aren’t great layers you need to supplement calcium big time because ducks get calcium deficiencies
I think it would be a huge investment that could equal a huge loss on your end because they want drakes only
They won't take the females?
How old do they want them...will they grow them out or will you?

Back
Top Bottom