Pics
Yes it is a quail egg :)! I hatched quail for the first time almost two months ago and they just started laying last week. I'm pretty excited to have such small eggs! That and that quail have been great! This is their daddy. Well... Will be a father once I do another batch of eggs in the incubator. His name is Pretzel.

View attachment 2778349

What ratio do you recommend for drakes/hens? I ended up settling on one male and four females. I'm hoping that would be enough females for him. I heard that ducks can be a little aggressive when they are mating. They have a little pool that they hang out in, but I noticed they don't seem as want to swim as much as the Cascade ducklings I had. They are on a diet of Purina duck food. I was giving them chick starter then I switched over when I heard they needed niacin. Here is a photo of them. I'm wondering what colors they will end up being? I'm assuming the black one will be...black. The bigger light brown one, maybe lavender?

View attachment 2778356
They are precious!! If it wasn't for not wanting any more drakes now one is def enough when it comes to Muscovy. My girls would be hatching. My drake has always had 4 girls
We lost one of them at age 2 with egg complications but Ruth has filled in nicely they all love each other. My Muscovy drake never has even tried to mate with any of my Runners or Buffs. BUT my oldest Runner likes to exert his male prowess on the Muscovy girls. Sometimes they will stand up to him. If they would just kick his butt one good time I think that would be all it would take.
Your quail is beautiful I see why you named him Pretzel

@Miss Lydia I thought I posted them. I have pics in different threads. Here are pics from today their 1 week birthday! Sorry about quality its not the best. I'm not a photographer and mama doesn't like me getting too close.

Attachments

• IMG-5462.JPG
    IMG-5462.JPG
    487.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-5455 (1).JPG
    IMG-5455 (1).JPG
    302.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-5452.JPG
    IMG-5452.JPG
    702.2 KB · Views: 6
How beautiful ❤️ Don't you love mama and her ducklings and chicks too they just make you smile. You don't have snapping turtles in your waters there in Costa Rica. I'd be a nervous wreck.

That's great to hear. I ride by a pond and think gosh I always wanted a pond for my flock then I'd come here and see someone's duck mutilated or killed by snapping turtles and that would give me a better perspective. Your pond is beautiful so natural with the vegatation. Being born in Florida seeing snapping turtles were common, then we moved here to the mountains right above a river and I never saw one until we had rain from back to back hurricanes with alot of flooding found a huge snapping turtle had washed up on the dirt road down below. I helped him get back to the river.

They are precious!! If it wasn't for not wanting any more drakes now one is def enough when it comes to Muscovy. My girls would be hatching. My drake has always had 4 girls
We lost one of them at age 2 with egg complications but Ruth has filled in nicely they all love each other. My Muscovy drake never has even tried to mate with any of my Runners or Buffs. BUT my oldest Runner likes to exert his male prowess on the Muscovy girls. Sometimes they will stand up to him. If they would just kick his butt one good time I think that would be all it would take.
Your quail is beautiful I see why you named him Pretzel
What colors do you think my ducklings might end up being? Can you really go by their tail feathers when they are small, or is it more complicated than that?

@Miss Lydia I thought I posted them. I have pics in different threads. Here are pics from today their 1 week birthday! Sorry about quality its not the best. I'm not a photographer and mama doesn't like me getting too close.
Beautiful! It’s nice sometimes not seeing ducks on a farm, or something like that. Gives a more “wild” feel!

Back
Top Bottom