Pics
Their not ducks. Same scientific family, but where as domestic ducks derive from the wild mallard, Muscovy's do not. Instead they are south american jungle fowl. Like with breeding horses and donkeys together, you get an infertile mule, when you breed a Muscovy and say, a Peking together, you'll get what's known as a muleduck, also usually infertile. (I managed to become one of the few that has a fertile muleduck XD)
That is interesting that you mentioned that about the mules. A few days before my Muscovies hatched I also hatched some Golden Cascades. we were originally debating on cross breeding them but then I decided not to. I plan on keeping the five that I have now for myself, but I also want to let them hatch chicks so I can sell them and at least help cover their feed and whatnot. I figured if people were going to want Muscovies they would probably want pure. Guess my judgement was right!

I noticed one of my Muscovies is laying down a lot. I was reading up that it may be a possible niacin deficiency. She will run or take a few steps and then lay back down. Besides that, everything else is normal. I did start them off for about two weeks on medicated chick starter (then found out about the niacin). They have been on duck food the past two weeks. Is it just taking time to get into her system, or is there something else that I can give her to kind of boost it? I'm hoping she won't end up like this for life.

I know I might be kinda going on a whim here, but I bought this for my five ducks and was wondering if it will be big enough for them once they are adults? Worse case scenario I will end up using it for my quail...

That is interesting that you mentioned that about the mules. A few days before my Muscovies hatched I also hatched some Golden Cascades. we were originally debating on cross breeding them but then I decided not to. I plan on keeping the five that I have now for myself, but I also want to let them hatch chicks so I can sell them and at least help cover their feed and whatnot. I figured if people were going to want Muscovies they would probably want pure. Guess my judgement was right!
Most likely.

What do you recommend for duck housing?
You'll want something bigger and easy to clean when you need to. Our coop is just big enough for all our ducks to but even wee need to make them their own personal home. Most people's duck houses are floored simply by natural ground. The water is not usually kept inside their sleeping area. Their current space is much bigger then what you pictured and the five ducks we originally had always made a mess of it. Their going to get their own space now that we have more.

I know I might be kinda going on a whim here, but I bought this for my five ducks and was wondering if it will be big enough for them once they are adults? Worse case scenario I will end up using it for my quail...
How many scovy do you have? that will make a nice quail house.

Here's our old chicken coop that now houses our six teenaged(15 wks) ducks. Their side is the left. I wouldn't want them in a smaller space. Some of them like to roost on top of the nesting boxes. I do keep water in there, but mine don't make a mess. It has a ground floor with wood shavings.

Attachments

• IMG-5470 (2).JPG
    IMG-5470 (2).JPG
    882.9 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom