Mushy chick? Newborn Duckling with very wet poo and lethargic.

WolfGirlMagic

Songster
5 Years
Nov 9, 2017
The last duck to hatch is causing me concern.
Her navel was not completely healed, not horrible looking though. I put antibiotic cream on it and into a little bowl in the incubator on a clean wash cloth. Well she has not perked up much, and she has had very wet yellowish poop.
Is this a red alert situation. Should I be doing anything else (I have nutridrench, and chick probiotics on hand.)
Should I try to get her to drink water? (She is still in the incubator drying with the other late hatches.)
Another chick had the same problem, and is out in the brooder now running around like a hooligan.

It is hard to focus my camera on my phone
These are the best I can get

Attachments

• IMG_20190719_200748.jpg
    IMG_20190719_200748.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20190719_200746.jpg
    IMG_20190719_200746.jpg
    282.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20190719_200816.jpg
    IMG_20190719_200816.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 9
It can come out of the incubator now, if it hatched on Wednesday it will be needing to start eating and drinking. but I would keep it separated so the others don't peck at that.
That looks like it might be infected to me.
I would put a little clear iodine on it to help that stuff dry up and fall off.
If that stuff is good and dry I would even snip it off. It appears that is part of the yolk sack that didn't absorb and it can't now because it's dried up.
Let's see if some others can weigh in.
@WVduckchick
@Pyxis
@casportpony
Thanks!
I plan to call a vet and ask about antibiotics tomorrow

Yes.
Some normal poops amongst more liquidy yellow poops though.
This one definitely has more loose stool then the others and is MUCH smaller.
Half the size of siblings born the same day
It is possible that is has a yolk sac infection. Unfortunately, if it does have an infection, there isn't much you can do. :(

Can take a video of it in the brooder, upload it to YouTube or Vimeo, then copy and paste the link here?

Can you post a pic? Sometimes chicks hatch with open navels (I've had it happen to me). The navel may close up on its own depending on how open it is
Here is a photo.
I have been putting antibiotic ointment on it every 3 hours. (As a preventative.) I use silver sulfiadiazine as it worked on several VERY nasty to the bone injuries that were already infected.

Attachments

• IMG_20190717_221236.jpg
    IMG_20190717_221236.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 18

Back
Top Bottom