My 1st flock ever...Top Hat Special! fun fun!

Spongegirl

Songster
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
middle earth
Greetings from Kentucky. After months of research and reading here, I received my first shipment of chicks 5 days ago. Wow! Already such an experience.
They were so easy to identify and we ended up with all the top hat varieties they offer... 1 gorgeous Golden polish, 4 Silver polish, 5 White Crested black polish, 6 Buff Laced polish, 2 White polish, 2 Mottled Houdans, 2 Crevecours, and 4 Sultans. We ordered a White Silkie and got an extra White Silkie. Free, came a Buff brahama bantam. Our order could not have been better for straight run. I can't wait to see them develop and learn by this experience. I am having thoughts of listing any extra roosters for purchase for show or 4-H.

It's so funny to watch them. I am suprised how fast they develop real feathers. My mom is going to be in shock...she told me never get chickens. She doesn't know what she's missin'! haha!
I am curious about using kaolin clay. I have some. The feather footeds are sitting on it right now in the sun in an aquarium. I am going to guess that it might be some maintanence to keep their feet feathers beautiful while they are in the brooders. Right? I let them wade in some water to clean them up, then their feet air dried then I put them in the clay aquarium. I didn't use much on the bottom. Too much work for chickens? I want to increase my flock without ordering any more so it is very important that I do everything right so the chicks stay healthy and thrive. I don't want to overdo it either or pamper them. I want them to be tough. Something else I noticed is that if they are not peeping, they are happy. When the peeping is loud and constant, they need something. Reading never prepares you for what it is really like.

Who else on here keeps some of these? Love to hear about their characteristics and personalities.

Oh yeah, something else I was wondering about is inbreeding. What are the rules for chickens?

excuse me while i drool over your chick order! I have a white crested black polish that is my most favorite. Her name is Jo. She watches TV with me and i take her for rides in the car sometimes (mostly when im going to chicken swaps
tongue.png
)

The loud peeping with my little ones was mostly if they were cold. I have given some of mine baths when the dirt got too horrible on the silkies and polish followed by blow drying
smile.png
My family all calls me the crazy chicken lady now
yippiechickie.gif

be very careful with inbreeding. only keep one rooster at a time and get rid of him after every generation of chicks and take another rooster from someone. you will get some really messed up chicks if roosters breed with their offspring. any flaws in genetics are magnified when there is inbreeding. it might not be a physical trait but often it is a lack of resistance to diseases. good luck!
smile.png

haha! that was funny...I will take pictures. I just knew it was a great order! Thanks. And now that I know that about inbreeding, I will read up on it. Sounds interesting to learn. I'm careful to research things fully so I'll know what I'm getting into.

I just made a grit...a little sand, a dozen pulverized organic egg shells, a pinch of kaolin clay, pinch of turmeric, tiny bit of ground clove, garlic powder, and a few dried chives. I just know these herbs will be good for them. I went very light on the herbs for now. I'm thinking the herbs I used will inhance their color, fight disease, infection, and pests as well as give them vitamins, minerals, and nutrients. Sound crazy? I love herbs as medicine and so will my chickens! I love herb recipies.

Back
Top Bottom