My 2 week old babies dont like me

LoriNSally

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
Hi all

Thanks for all the help so far, I have read so many of the question and answers on here so far. I am a brand new baby cheep cheep momma, and have 11 little girls (5 buff orpingtons, 2 RI reds, 2 Americaunas, 2 bantams) who are 2 weeks old now. I have them in a large fish tote with hardware cloth on the top to keep my 2 German Shorthaired Pointers out. I have been trying to interact with them a lot (with the dogs in the other room of course) because I have read that doing so helps them get used to people and be friendly. But it is hard to catch them, and when I do I am gentle to pick them up but all they want to do is get away. When I try to feed them treats and pet them, they run away from me. How is the best way to hold them or interact with them that will help them not be so scared of me?

Hello!

I think almost all the chicks I've had go through this "scaredy cat" stage, and then they eventually come out of it and become friendlier. Just keep at it, talking to them, and pick them up anyhow, even if they run away....Just hold them for a little bit until they calm down and pet them, and of course, feed them with your hand (you have to be very still and then eventually they will take it) ......They will come around!

Sharon

My 2 chicks are 2 1/2 weeks old. What I do is take them out of the brooder and put them on the floor (on old towels!). I sit with them and feed them oatmeal by hand, and just keep my hands near them, so they get used to them. Eventually, I pick them up and put them on my lap. By then they're comfortable enough to settle in, either on my leg or perched on my hand or arm. They even nod off sometimes.

They do still do that panicky scream when I pick them up, out of the brooder. They flap and act terrified, but once I get them on the floor, they calm down and start exploring.

83943_nettie_and_darla_040.jpg

83943_nettie_and_darla_049.jpg

Don't be discouraged! Mine do not seem to "love" me yet, but I think we're on the way. They get more comfortable with me every day!
smile.png

My 2 week olds don't like me much either and they look much older than the two week old ones in the picture. Mine look to have a lot more feathers and that. They run from me all the time and to try and get a hold of them is a pain. I try from time to time but it is hard.

Quote:
I tell you what I did... I put towels on the floor and then put on my big fuzzy robe over my clothes and laid on the floor beside them~ they can not resist to cuddle up next to you all nice and warm!!
ya.gif
I did that alot and they wanted to cuddle all the time. You have a lot more than I do maybe try doing that with 4 at a time. And also I left my dogs around so they wouldn't be afraid of them~ but I absolutely trust my dogs would not hurt them. If you feel the same way about your dogs then I would just leave them out! Good Luck
hugs.gif

I try to spend a little time holding one for a long time... like 15-20 minutes or until it calms down. Put it under my chin to warm it and let it sit on my lap with my hands around it. Then when I set it down I hold it and see if it runs off or kind of stays for a few seconds. Eventually, they lose their fear and will even come up to you.

My little BA roo, a little over a week, loves to come up to me and follow and peck my hands, but if it has anything to do with holding him, forget it. He just runs away and then comes back and follows me some more. It's really cute and really annoying at the same time because I really want to hold him because he is SO cute!!!!
barnie.gif

You don't want them to lose their instinctive fear of something coming at them from above (the sky). They instinctively know that predators come from above. When they are little, your giant hand coming from above is a 'predator' which sets off their 'run and hide response.' It will take a while for them to get used to you picking them up, but if you hold them gently close to you and cuddle them, they will learn to like you.

Back
Top Bottom