My 3 week old chick is going crazy. Help!

banannie

Hatching
May 28, 2020
I got 3 barred rock chicks a little under 3 weeks ago. Their behavior has been normal until about an hour ago. We took them out of the brooder temporarily for about 20 minutes to change their bedding, and put them in a smaller box. They started aggressively trying to fly out after about 10 minutes, so we took them out and let them roam in our living room for the rest of the time. They were doing fine until I scooped them up and put them in the freshly changed brooder, which is a large cardboard box with netting across the top. After I put the 3 in, 2 were fine while the most active one suddenly stopped moving and stared at the side of the brooder. All of a sudden it shrieked and flew aggressively towards the wall headfirst. It's shrieks were really loud and kind of disturbing, and it continued to not move for a while and then suddenly go crazy and fly into the wall. Right now, it's just sitting and not moving and then flying into a short crazy rage before sitting back down. I noticed that it's growth was a little behind, it was smaller than the rest and the developing tail feathers were a lot shorter than the others. Do any of you guys know what's going on and how to fix it?

I got 3 barred rock chicks a little under 3 weeks ago. Their behavior has been normal until about an hour ago. We took them out of the brooder temporarily for about 20 minutes to change their bedding, and put them in a smaller box. They started aggressively trying to fly out after about 10 minutes, so we took them out and let them roam in our living room for the rest of the time. They were doing fine until I scooped them up and put them in the freshly changed brooder, which is a large cardboard box with netting across the top. After I put the 3 in, 2 were fine while the most active one suddenly stopped moving and stared at the side of the brooder. All of a sudden it shrieked and flew aggressively towards the wall headfirst. It's shrieks were really loud and kind of disturbing, and it continued to not move for a while and then suddenly go crazy and fly into the wall. Right now, it's just sitting and not moving and then flying into a short crazy rage before sitting back down. I noticed that it's growth was a little behind, it was smaller than the rest and the developing tail feathers were a lot shorter than the others. Do any of you guys know what's going on and how to fix it?

Can you get a video of how it is acting right now?

If no-one comes up with any better ideas, you might try turning off all lights for a bit (maybe 5-10 minutes), then turning them back on.

If the chick is just reacting to things looking different, that would make him take a break, and then hopefully he could forget about it. Of course, if there is any real problem, that would not help at all.

It seems strange that only one chick is doing this, while the other two are unaffected.
Is the box at all shiny? Maybe there's a reflection of something?
Is it the same kind of bedding they had before? Maybe it smells different because it's fresher?

Back
Top Bottom