My chicken ate a baby bird

Pics
Mar 30, 2018
Yeah, the title says it all. :th

I was outside with them, watering my garden. A baby chickadee fell from the tree. Before I even knew what was happening the chickens descended upon it. I saw a blur of white as they fought over it, then it was gone. :sick

The only reason I even know what it was is that the parent chickadees were attacking the chickens. There was also another baby in the tree above them, that was also out of the nest. The parents were feeding it.

I am assuming the chickens will be fine, but I feel sorry for the poor chickadees.

Aww. Poor baby!:love
Yes, your chickens will be fine, but the chickens were just eating what they thought was a treat! They probably didn't even realize what it was! ( just a tree falling from the sky lol ) I just hope that no more chickadees fall from the nest! Poor mother birds, trying o protect there baby!!:love
Good luck!:thumbsup:hugs

Last edited:
Mine found a fledging finch, feathered but tiny and unable to fly far, a while back. It jumped out of the grass into my EE's face, and startled her. She jumped back, and dove back in after the 'big hoppy bug', but I intervened. Chick was perfectly calm for me picking it up, just sat in my hand looking at me, stepped onto a branch in one of the small trees, chirped politely and waited for me to leave before it started screaming for its parents. The EE was very upset with me for stealing her big hoppy bug.

Mine found a fledging finch, feathered but tiny and unable to fly far, a while back. It jumped out of the grass into my EE's face, and startled her. She jumped back, and dove back in after the 'big hoppy bug', but I intervened. Chick was perfectly calm for me picking it up, just sat in my hand looking at me, stepped onto a branch in one of the small trees, chirped politely and waited for me to leave before it started screaming for its parents. The EE was very upset with me for stealing her big hoppy bug.
:lau

This chickadee was fully feathered as well. I just went out to put the chickens up for the night and found that my cat had gotten the other baby. It must have fallen out as well. :(

So sorry! It's traumatic for us to see our sweet chickies eat other cute little critters. One of mine was running around with a small frog a couple of days ago. Got it away from her, but oi was decapitated and dead already. She was so upset when I took it away. She was the envy of the whole flock, being chased this way and that because she had a something very special.

Back
Top Bottom