My Chicken Existential Crisis... I mean journey

update on crazy psycho broody
caught her in a live trap using babies as bait. she was running over all of them in her panic so I ended up trying to protect the chicks which let her get out. gave her the chicks back. they settled down for the night on the ground. tried to catch her then, no go. so the chicks are now mine.
View attachment 2473785View attachment 2473786View attachment 2473787

had a pullet sitting in the nest box at sundown last night but shes not broody... her vent had mites or some other tiny bug. sprayed her. checked everyone else. a couple other ladies had them as well. sprayed them. it looked like bugs died on contact

I started worming everyone last night too
it took me 2 hours to check everyone for mites and worm them all.

and I still missed 4. because psycho broody was high up a tree and I didnt even want to try & 2 hens were high in the holly tree & so was the alpha roo. but I got... 33 birds wormed! so I'll take that. unfortunately they need another 4 days of this and this bottle is gunna run out before that so joy.

I have found this experience highly stressful.
I'll bet!

current chicken math count

side coop:
5 ladies

main coop:
16 ladies
2 males
1 lady + 5 chicks

trees:
10 ladies
2 males
1 psycho

inside:
10 chicks
14 eggs

= 37 adults, 15 babens

update on crazy psycho broody
caught her in a live trap using babies as bait. she was running over all of them in her panic so I ended up trying to protect the chicks which let her get out. gave her the chicks back. they settled down for the night on the ground. tried to catch her then, no go. so the chicks are now mine.
View attachment 2473785View attachment 2473786View attachment 2473787

had a pullet sitting in the nest box at sundown last night but shes not broody... her vent had mites or some other tiny bug. sprayed her. checked everyone else. a couple other ladies had them as well. sprayed them. it looked like bugs died on contact

I started worming everyone last night too
it took me 2 hours to check everyone for mites and worm them all.

and I still missed 4. because psycho broody was high up a tree and I didnt even want to try & 2 hens were high in the holly tree & so was the alpha roo. but I got... 33 birds wormed! so I'll take that. unfortunately they need another 4 days of this and this bottle is gunna run out before that so joy.

I have found this experience highly stressful.
What did you use to de-worm? Curious, as I should probably do that this year, I just haven’t.

Back
Top Bottom