My chickens, ducks & local island wildlife in AU.

Dr_Eyeball

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2023
Hi. I live on an island in Queensland, Australia. It depends on barges and ferries for all transport.
There is quite a bit of wildlife on the island, such as lizards, snakes, frogs, toads, curlews, peacocks, peahens, wallabies (rare though), kookaburras, owls & various birds including birds of prey.

I have 3 Muscovy ducklings which I bought recently. They range from about 1-2 months old.
I also have 2 chickens - a mini Bantam chicken (3 years) & a young Silkie chicken (6 months).

I have had more of both in the past 8 years - about 7 other Muscovy ducks and about 6 mini-to-medium-sized Bantam chickens. As a child, we often had about 8 chickens for many years.

Sadly, I lost quite a few ducks last year from Cockatoos with beak & feather disease. Their daily flight path is right over our house - oh the noise. One infected Cockatoo died right beside my chicken/duck houses and another dropped infected food. They appear to have caused the deaths of the ducks within days.

I have found that I enjoy the ducks more than I enjoy the chickens since they tend to get into more mischief every day which provides me with a story each time!

Even though I am 50 years old, I still enjoy computer games on PC. I like to build things out of timber.
I used to have 2 dogs (Dachshund cross Staffy), but they too passed away last year at the age of 16.

I have observed BYC for years for tips and advice on chicken & duck care, housing ideas, feeding ideas, pest control, parasite control plus fun photos & "house" ducks.
I like the layout of BYC and now I hope to participate in the community & share what I have learned too.

Please enjoy some of my photos.

Attachments

• dog.jpg
    dog.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 6
  • duck_tub.jpg
    duck_tub.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 2
  • ducklings.jpg
    ducklings.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 2
  • ducks.jpg
    ducks.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 2
  • frog.jpg
    frog.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1
  • grape_pincher.jpg
    grape_pincher.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1
  • house_duck.jpg
    house_duck.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Silkie.jpg
    Silkie.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hi. I live on an island in Queensland, Australia. It depends on barges and ferries for all transport.
There is quite a bit of wildlife on the island, such as lizards, snakes, frogs, toads, curlews, peacocks, peahens, wallabies (rare though), kookaburras, owls & various birds including birds of prey.

I have 3 Muscovy ducklings which I bought recently. They range from about 1-2 months old.
I also have 2 chickens - a mini Bantam chicken (3 years) & a young Silkie chicken (6 months).

I have had more of both in the past 8 years - about 7 other Muscovy ducks and about 6 mini-to-medium-sized Bantam chickens. As a child, we often had about 8 chickens for many years.

Sadly, I lost quite a few ducks last year from Cockatoos with beak & feather disease. Their daily flight path is right over our house - oh the noise. One infected Cockatoo died right beside my chicken/duck houses and another dropped infected food. They appear to have caused the deaths of the ducks within days.

I have found that I enjoy the ducks more than I enjoy the chickens since they tend to get into more mischief every day which provides me with a story each time!

Even though I am 50 years old, I still enjoy computer games on PC. I like to build things out of timber.
I used to have 2 dogs (Dachshund cross Staffy), but they too passed away last year at the age of 16.

I have observed BYC for years for tips and advice on chicken & duck care, housing ideas, feeding ideas, pest control, parasite control plus fun photos & "house" ducks.
I like the layout of BYC and now I hope to participate in the community & share what I have learned too.

Please enjoy some of my photos.
Welcome to BYC!! Beautiful pics!

Back
Top Bottom