My Chickies shipped today!!!! Update: Got them! *** PICS** PG. 3!!!

We got our chicks today!!!! We ordered 15 from Cackle Hatchery, and they shipped out yesterday. I was expecting them Friday morning but they arrived today. They sent the 15 that we ordered plus two extra!! So far so good. They all seem healthy and happy. The thing that's driving me crazy is the temp. I have the red bulb but every time I check the thermometer it's a different temp???? I move it and fool with it every 20 min! Does anyone have an idea on how many inches between the chicks and the 250watt red bulb = 95 ?

Anyway....congratulations and I hope yours arrive safe and sound.
thumbsup.gif

Congratulations on your chicks! I'm a newbie and will be getting chicks next week. I cannot wait! I definitely empathized with your excited post
smile.png
CHICKENS!

Quote:
I'm a newbie but I have 29 healthy chicks and every1 has survived my momma skills so far!
ya.gif
Let the chicks help u with the temp...if ur temp is staying around 90ish u should b ok. If they r piling up under the light it's too cold but if they r just kind of laying around then they r good. I had my light about 21-24 inches above them. Hope that helps some and good luck!! Please post pics when u can!
droolin.gif

Just like the other poster said if they are huddled up under the light and cheeping madly they are too cold. Most of the time if mine are in the house, I just use a regular light bulb and hang it about 18 inches above the shavings and they are usually running about playing, eating, and drinking. They will be fine as long as they are not being too loud.. Hope this helps! Have fun with them!
tongue.png

Yes they are here. Got 38 chicks, 2 Bourbon Red Turkey Poults (lost one this afternoon & the other doesn't seem to be doing well), I think maybe they got chilled, neither acted very lively when I picked them up. And 2 Welsh Harlequin ducklings. Everyone else is doing great! There were no DOA's! I feel horrible about the poults but I've been trying to get them to eat and drink all day. The one that is left is in his own box with a few chicks. Looks like I've got about 10 bantams. A couple black white crested polish, a couple black jersey giants, a few BO's, some chipmunk looking ones, a few red ones, and some black n white ones. LOL I will post pics as soon as my camera battery charges, I know bad chickie momma. Forgot to charge the camera. Ugh! Any suggestions on the lone poult would be great! I really wanted turkeys!

I'm so glad u got ur babies!!
wee.gif
Sorry about the others...I'm new to chickies and know NOTHING about the others...but post pics when u get a chance! Sounds like u have some EE's (chipmunk looking ones) and the black & white might be barred rocks! Good luck with ALL ur babies!
yippiechickie.gif
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom