My coop...a year in the making.

wolfsnaps

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 9, 2012
So I have wanted chickens for years. After talking my husband into it, he told me he would build me one. Well, life gets in the way sometimes and we either never had the time or the money.

So I ended up buying this little prefabricated coop along with three hens:

Let me just say that while this coop is cute, it is also very small and VERY cheaply made. Sadly, I ended up losing two of my chickens to a fox :( I should add it wasn't the fault of the coop, it was because I was free ranging them.

Anyways, My husband started building me a coop using reclaimed wood so there was no cost to us.

But he could only get so far because he ran out of materials.

So time went by. And it sat like this.

Then, we got some plywood and a window free from a friend so he added to the coop but still, it wasn't enough so it just sat around.

Well, FINALLY, we had some money to work with and time. While it isn't an extravagant coop (we had to work with cheaper materials and inexperienced laborers aka my husband, his cousin, and his uncle) it will do the job just fine. I actually have LESS money invested in the newly made coop than I do in the prefab one I bought used. The prefabricated coop could only house 3 hens (and THAT was pushing it) while my new coop can do much more than that.
So here it is! I am so excited!

It isn't 100% complete yet but that thing in the front will be a door so I can let the chickens out from outside the coop with a rope.

And they also worked on fencing it in.

It still needs the rest of the fencing, an awning so they have some shade and can stand outside even if it is raining. The door needs secured as well. I am considering concreting the inside of the coop so predators can not dig their way inside. I can get free concrete, I just have to be patient.

So she is not much of a looker but she is pretty large (for my needs) and built to last. I can't wait to put my chicks in there~!

Here they are in the chicken tractor we made for them out of PVC pipe and wire. May soon be modified for rabbits. Oh yeah, I am going to be getting into breeding rabbits! YAY. More to come on that at a later date.

Last edited:
Chickens will digs. Good for you.
thumbsup.gif
Yours is much better than the prefab miniature coop. Building your own is usually so much better.

Congrats on the coop/run :) Love the little fuzzbutts too. A lot of us can relate to building hang ups due to life & the curve balls that it throws at you. Makes it that much better when you get it built though.

I started my coop in January. Now it's May and it's still not done... I'm betting my will take as long as yours. I already have the chickens in it, though. But there is still so much to be done! I still need to build the run, cut more ventilation windows, build nesting boxes, roost, poop shelf, etc. It will get finished one day.....
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom