My dog got one of my girls :( Help please!

tiffinimarie

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
Grand Blanc, MI
So this morning, I let the chickens into their run like usual. My dogs were outside and can't get to the run because of an invisible fence. Somehow, either my dog crossed the line and got into the run, or a chicken got out. Either way, my son went out and my dog had one of my girls. He saved her from him, and I went out to help. She is still alive...seems fine. She is a little bloody by the ear, and has some feathers missing on her back. She was soaking wet, so I brought her in and put her in the brooder under the heat lamp. She is now roosting comfortably. Is there anything else I can do for her? I think she is going to make it, but I want to be sure there isn't anything I should be doing. Once she is dry and the bloody parts are clean, when can I put her back in with her sisters?

Tiffini

Last edited:
As long as she is not bleeding and she is walking fine I would put her back in after she rests up...if she is limping at all I would hold her out until she is walking better otherwise she will get pecked on. I would also give her some probiotics of some sort...yogurt with the active cultures work great. And then give her some scrambled eggs because they LOVE it and because it's full of protein too
big_smile.png
And last, just watch her close and give her love
big_smile.png
Good luck! Let us know how she does.

Well, she was doing ok and not bleeding...when I put her in the brooder I thought the babies (2-3 weeks?) would leave her alone, but they started pecking at her back a little and now it is bleeding and a little swollen. I put her in her own makeshift brooder now. I don't want to keep her separated too long. Is there anything I can do for the bloody spot now?

You need to keep her isolated because of the pecking, if they see her with blood open areas the chickens will peck her more.
Try to get her to eat/drink, there maybe internal injuries you aren't seeing as well. I found with my dog attacks that within 2days of the attack 3 out of 4 died. Soo keep an eye on her and try to keep her comfortable and eating and pray!
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

My black lab got after one of my hens once too. He was fine until she fluttered and then it was on! His instincts took over. He cut the back of her neck open, but thank God it was a clean cut. I didn't have anything except regular thread, and gave her 3 stitches and put antibacterial salve on it. Her feathers covered the cut an there wasn't any blood really, so she was fine back with the flock. Checked on her daily to make sure it was fine and after a few days - removed the stitches. She is happy and lays me the biggest eggs. I hope things work out for you and your girl.

Back
Top Bottom